IELTS Many people think that international travel will decrease in the future.

navarannan 2 / 3  
Question

Many people think that international travel will decrease in the future. Do you think this will be a positive development?
Give examples from your experience.

Answer

In today's modernized world, travel is something which each and everyone of us make. The amount of travel has been increasing over the last few years and the trend will continue. According to my opinion, this increase in travel is good for the individual and for the country.

Firstly, with the increasing impact of globalization international travel between countries has gone up. Companies set up business in different countries and this results in transportation of goods and services across countries. This will help in cultural exchange between countries. People travelling to different countries will learn new language, culture and tradition.

Secondly, tourism is one of the major source of income for any country. Many countries nowadays have policies which support tourism which result in the increase of international travel. This will improve the economy of the host country and improve associated business.

Thirdly, Information Technology is the most growing job market in the 21st century. Many countries outsource their business to different countries where it can be done at a cheaper rate. This will require support at the client site which results in increase of travel of software professionals to foreign countries. As part of my job, I had travelled to China. I was able to learn their culture, language and cutting edge technology.

To conclude, travel is inevitable in today's technology advanced world. Globalization, tourism, IT etc demand lot of international travel between countries. This is good for the country socially, politically and culturally.
Callie0202 5 / 14  
The topic required to talk about " decrease", however, you are talking about " increase".
Your writing to the wrong topic. Even though I agree with you, you must assume that travel will decrease and then argue whether it would be a positive thing or not.

If you rewrite the essay, post it here so that we can help you. :)
OP navarannan 2 / 3  

Hi Callie

The topic is a bit confusing. Here is the full question. I took the stand that international travel will decrease and made supporting points.

Question
Writing Task 2 (an essay)

Many people think that international travel will decrease in the future. Do you think this will be a positive or a negative development?

Hi

Pahan. The topic is a bit confusing. This was the question I got in IELTS I took 2 weeks before. To my shock I got only 6.5(The content I actually wrote was more than what I posted here).

Did I misunderstand the question?
OP navarannan 2 / 3  
I have one more question regarding the type of essay.
There are 3 possible types of essays.

for an argument - you need to explain both sides and agree with one of them
for an opinion - you need to present another point of view and say which one you agree with and why
for a problem - you need to explain it, discuss and offer a solution and discuss it too.

Which type of essay is this one? I feel its asking for an opinion if you see the second part of the question(Do you think this will be a positive development?). But the first part make me think its an argument(Many people think that international travel will decrease in the future).

Im confused!!
In today's modernized world, travel is something which each and everyone of us make.

I don't think everyone does travel, especially the people in developing countries. You need to be careful in making general statement. You can say this safely;

In modern days, international travel has become a very common thing.

Your introduction and the prompt contradict each other. The prompt makes a statement about decrease in future travel and then it asks for your ideas about its impact. However, you don't mention about what is discussed in the prompt and instead take the theme in a different line :(

Introducing your prompt is the most important feature in your introduction!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Many people think that international travel will decrease in the future.