IELTS Writing Task 2: Some people think that space exploration is a waste of resources while others

bhlin 1 / -  
Some people think that space exploration is a waste of resources while others think that it is essential for mankind to continue to explore the universe in which we live.

Discuss both sides and give your opinion.

Along with technology innovation, humankind is making its steps towards space exploration. Such huge change has caused an argument: some people believe this progress overuses resources, while the others show a great avocation. To my view, it is necessary for men to continue this journey; however, the usage of resources should be considered.

Conquest of outer space has taken away parts of government expenditures and natural resources. Developed countries, especially great nations such as the United States and Russia, have invested a huge amount of state budget in planetary exploration. It is reported that the United States has spent more than twenty billion dollars annually on NASA in recent years. Furthermore, because the universe out there is a discrepancy from our planet Earth, sophisticated technology is indispensable for astronauts' safety and space travel efficiency. Governments need to use a plethora of available resources to develop aerospace technology since it requires a wide range of different natural assets.

Although this science is expensive, its necessity is undeniable. Understanding the Earth is not enough; space exploration helps humans to predict the future of mankind. Planetary exploration contributes to predicting the time the Earth collapses with other asteroids and discovering another livable planet. Moreover, many individuals now show a big interest in encountering our "neighbours" in outer space. Humans can therefore apply new knowledge and bring Earth life to a higher stage.

By way of conclusion, space science has numerous advantages that it should be focused on and developed in the near and far future. Still, governments should spend a considerable amount of national budget and natural resources so that it will not affect other national preoccupations and global issues.

Can someone helps me review my essay? Thanks a lot!
The prompt restatement is acceptable and shows a degree of control over the creation of simple and complex sentences. However, the discussion is not one that the examiner will be considered as a simple to understand presentation. While it is impressive to know that the writer can use college level English words that are used in specialized discussions, this does not mean that he was able to use the word properly in the sentence. The examiner is not looking for impressive big word usage in the essay. He is looking at the ability of the test taker to explain himself using simple everyday words. The vocabulary must consist of everyday words that the student will be using to express himself in social and academic settings. Use of specialized words will not really help the LR score when it is used out of context.

The writer gave a general discussion of the given points of view rather than delivering a comparative discussion of the public and personal opinion of the writer. The essay therefore only discusses the point of view of the writer rather than both public and private opinions as required. So the essay will be scored based on partially correct discussion considerations. The lack of pronoun usage in the discussion will definitely have a negative effect on the GRA score.

Though the discussion is good, it is not in the expected discussion format so the scoring considerations for the essay shall be limited in scope.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2: Some people think that space exploration is a waste of resources while others