People who had university degrees - IELTS Writing Task 1 (Line graph)

tuyendo762 1 / -  

University graduates, canada

Task 1: The graph below shows the number of university graduates in Canada from 1992 to 2007.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.

The line graph compares the number of people who had university degrees of males and females in Canada in the period of 15 years. The blue line represented for males and the red line represented for females.

It is clear that the number of graduates witnesses an upward trend in both females and males, with females' figure saw a more dramatic change.

In 1992, around 70,000 men owned university degrees, compared to about nearly 100 thousand individuals of females. The number of graduates grown progressively in the next 10 years for both females and males.

In the later part of the period, sudden increases in the number of people obtained degrees were experienced for both men and women. There was a sharp increase for women, around 40,000 peoples in just 5 years from 2002 to 2007. By 2007, the figure recorded that nearly 150 thousand women and about 95 thousand men had university degrees.

Don't just say 15 years. The actual coverage years are referred to in the graph. So include the actual years. If the information is specified in the graph, you should specify it in your report too. You should have also mentioned that the measurement was represented in the thousands for each gender. These information should all be a part of the summary overview. A paragraph that needs 3 sentences to be considered informative and complete. The graph shows instances of dips in the university graduate figures for both men and women. That should have been represented in the data report. There is a lack of information balance in your representation. You focused only on the upward trends, totally forgetting that "what goes up, must come down." So the downward trends should have been reported as well. Aim for uniformity in your discussion paragraphs. Always use the minimum 3 sentence presentation, but never present more than 5 sentences. That way you constantly avoid missing the formatting requirements and, your sentences will not veer on the run-on side. Remember, this is a 3 paragraph presentation being a task 1 essay. So learn to compress the information into related sentences within 3 paragraphs.

Home / Writing Feedback / People who had university degrees - IELTS Writing Task 1 (Line graph)