Some people use the Internet to search for solutions to their medical problems, is this +ve/-ve ?

keithkwan14 3 / 5 1  
Some people use the Internet to search for solutions to their medical problems. Is it a positive or negative development?

Give your own opinion and examples from your experience.

When suffering from health issues, many people tend to explore on the Internet for possible solutions. However, personally I believe seeking for formal medical advices should be the correct act to do instead.

On the one hand, due to the tremendous amount of free information available in the digital world, many people can now search online for suitable treatments according to the symptoms they are suffering. In some series cases it might be feasible as certain useful solutions can always be found. For example, putting a cold towel on forehead can help in case of fever to certain extent. Some people, therefore, tend to believe Internet information, as long as it is not a medicine intake to the body, can help lessen their symptoms to certain extent.

On the other hand, however, some argue that surfing online for medical advice is very risky because it is inevitable that there would be misleading information in the virtual database. And more importantly, the majority is lack of professional knowledge to decide whether the information is correct or not. Also, if it leads to potential delay in receiving formal treatment, patients might be at risk and resulting in worse long-term consequences to their bodies. So more people agree that online information should not be trusted as official medical advices.

In conclusion, searching for health solutions on the web is not appropriated because there is always fake information online and general public does not equip with the professional knowledge to judge. It is better for patients to seek formal advice from qualified medical staffs to ensure they receive the most suitable treatments.
Bettie Orion 3 / 11  
Hello! Here are my suggestions. Hope it'll be helpful:
+ many people tend to explore on the Internet => explore the Internet
+ seeking for formal medical advices pieces of advice should be the correct act action to do instead. ( advice is uncountable )
+ to a certain extent
+ the majority is lack of lacks professional knowledge
You failed to properly respond to the prompt question, which was the basis of the total discussion. This ended up changing the discussion slant of the essay, also known as a prompt deviation. So your essay will not be able to get a proper score in the end. The error in your response presentation can be clearly seen in this comparison:

OQ: Is it a positive or negative development?
YR: personally I believe seeking for formal medical advices should be the correct act to do instead.

You did not respond to the question before you gave your opinion in the response paraphrase. So you basically neglected to properly develop your response paragraphs. Your essay will be seen as having a partially correct response only because of the lack of direct response to the straight question. You were not asked if it was appropriate to search for information on the internet, you were asked if this was a positive or negative development. This was the question you never responded to in the presentation. So your essay could be deemed not responsive to the prompt requirements ( answer is not related to the task).
OP keithkwan14 3 / 5 1  
Thanks for the advice.

What if i change the 1 paragraph as below, can it make my response paragraphs make sense to the prompt?
When suffering from health issues, many people tend to explore on the Internet for possible solutions. However, personally I believe it is a negative trend and seeking for formal medical advices should be the correct act to do instead.

Home / Writing Feedback / Some people use the Internet to search for solutions to their medical problems, is this +ve/-ve ?