The percentage of people aged 65 and over in 3 distinctive nations during 100 years period - IELTS 1

thanhtra49 1 / -  

the proportion of the population aged 65 and over

The given line chart indicated the percentage of people aged 65 and over in 3 distinctive nations during 100 years period starting from 1940.
Overall, the figure for people being 65 years old and over in 3 countries experienced an upward trend. In addition, Japan is the nation that is expected to be the highest in 2040.

In 1940, the number of elderly people in the USA. Sweden and Japan accounted for 9%, 7%, and 5% respectively. In the next 40 years, the trends for the USA's and Sweden's elderly population were very similar, increased by exactly 15% and 14%. By contrast, there was a slight increase in the number of Japanese people aged 65 and over, from 5% to roundly 3% in 1980. From 1980 to 2020, the figure for the USA fell off slightly and then remained no change around 14%. However, the elderly population in Japan and Sweden tended to rise steadily, stood at 8% and 19% respectively.

During the period between 2020 and 2040, it is expected that there is a more than fivefold increase in the number of senior citizens in Japan, as a result, Japan's figure is predicted to be the highest. Whilst that proportion for USA and Sweden made up for 25% and 23% respectively.

• The graph below shows the proportion of the population aged 65 and over between 1940 and 2040 in thr
The summary overview should list all 3 countries to give clarity to the trending presentation. The reader will wonder what nations are being compared and how it relates to the trend. To avoid such confusion, the future projection trend should be used.

The writer made a measurement projection in the last paragraph, indicating another or a repeated trending statement. That should only be presented once. The percentage measurement or assumption should have been presented instead.

Aside from these mistakes, the writer has done a good job of reporting data based on the image. He should however, learn to present paragraphs with similar sentence counts for formatting and conciseness considerations. Try to write only 100 words at the most.

Home / Writing Feedback / The percentage of people aged 65 and over in 3 distinctive nations during 100 years period - IELTS 1