Performance enhancing drugs in athletes.

Jess242 1 / -  
I need help on making sure I have a good thesis statement and my paper is good.

In my paper I will be speaking about Performance-Enhancing Drugs in Sports. I will be telling everyone who all uses the drugs, the different types of age groups that are using these drugs, what different types of drugs that there is to use, the consequences of using these drugs, and the reasons why no one should not use these drugs to boost his or her performance in sports. In today's society the will to win has gone to a new level. Even to the point, where athletes use legal and illegal drugs to enhance their power and stamina.

There are many different people from teenagers that are 13 to adults that are up to the age of 60 who participate in using performance enhancing drugs in sports to boost their energy, to build muscle bone (they may take anabolic steroids, Beta-2 Agonists, hCG, LH, and Insulin), to increase delivery of oxygen to exercising tissues (they may use EPO, blood doping, and artificial oxygen carriers), to mask pain (Narcotics, ACTH, Cortisone, and Local anesthetics), to stimulate the body, to relax (they may use Alcohol, Beta Blockers, Cannabinoids), to reduce weight( they may use Diuretics), and to hide the use of other drugs. Most of the drugs that I listed in parentheses are banned outright in Olympic competitions. However, some of these drugs, such as cortisone and local anesthetics, are restricted in Olympic competitions because they have legitimate clinical uses. Miniser, Bill (13 Apr 2002). Performance-Enhancing Supplements. If everyone thought performance-enhancing drugs and supplements were used by Olympic athletes only, they are wrong. Children in high school, junior high and even middle school are taking them. And these drugs could be among our children and teenagers. Given all the negative effects associated with performance-enhancing drugs, it seems strange that healthy children and young adults would want to risk their health just to be able to get stronger in the sport that they are participating in. But teens tend to deny their mortality and take risks they might not take if they were older and wiser. I found out that most of the time that teenagers are using these drugs is if they are under much pressure at school, at home, or even maybe their coach is pushing them to play harder, and it is causing them to be tensed up all the time. They may be participating in using these performance-enhancing drugs with friends at school, younger family members, or they may be using these drugs by themselves. But of all the things that you do as the parent of a student athlete, have you taken the time to talk to your child about the dangers of performance-enhancing drugs and supplements, and what all can happen to them if they get caught by the police or their principle with these drugs? What parents can do to help their teen out is to try to relieve the teenager of this pressure, by reassuring them that everyone loves them, and that everyone will be supporting them even when they do not perform well in competitive sports. Just tell them before they go out to play on their big game day that no matter what happens on the field, court, track, pool, or whatever sport their playing that everyone will still be at the next game to support them, and that you love them very much. By letting them know this maybe if they are using performance-enhancing drugs that they will realize that in the end they will not only be hurting themselves, but they also will be hurting their family members, especially their parents. So by them realizing this maybe they will stop using whatever performance-enhancing drugs that they are using before it is to late. Mayo Clinic Staff. (December 22, 2004). Performance-enhancing drugs: Dangerous, damaging, and potentially deadly.

There are many different types of performance-enhancing drugs in sports that athletes are using. I am just going to name some of the top performance-enhancing drugs that are the most damaging to the body, and the ones that are used the most by athletes. Here are some of the performance-enhancing drugs starting with the ones that damage the body the worst. Ephedra is a plant that contains the chemical ephedrine, a stimulant similar to amphetamines. Athletes may take an over- the- counter supplement containing ephedrine to reduce physical fatigue, lose weight or improve mental alertness. There is Creatine it is known to enhance muscle mass and high-intensity athletic performance. Creatine is produced naturally by our own bodies and is also derived from fish and animal foods in our diets. Most people take creatine through drinks, pills, and bars before and after workouts. Dosages can vary depending on size, sex, and physical ability but are usually about 5-10 grams twice daily. Domhnall, MacAuley. (July 27, 1996). Drugs in Sports. And last is Steroids this use is a very serious offense when it comes to high school, college, and pro sports. Steroids are strictly prohibited and the fines and penalties are very strict. Steroids are taken to promote muscle growth. Steroids are either taken orally or injected into the muscle. Serious health problems that people can get from taking steroids is damage to thier cardiovascular system, damage to their liver, and damage to their reproductive organs. Five to 12% of male high school students and 1% of female high school students have used steroids by the time that they become high school seniors. There are many more performance-enhancing drugs in sports that athletes can use, but I just named the top 3 that I thought was the most harming to the body, and it was the most ones used in sports by athletes.

The consequences for using Ephedra are that it can cause strokes, seizures and hear attacks-even death. Ephedra can raise people's blood sugar and cause an irregular heart rhythm. Long-term use can lead to addiction. The side effects that people can get from using Creatine are rashes, dyspnea, vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, anxiety, fatigue, migraines, and seizures. Long- term side effects are not currently known, but so many think that increased amounts of creatine will damage the kidneys. Finally the most severe consequences for using steroids are bleeding unusually, bone pain, cancer, depression, growth stunted, heart attacks, kidney disease, liver disease, and death. Fuller, John R. and LaFountain, Marc J. (Winter 1987).Performance-enhancing drugs in sport: a different form of drug abuse. Retrieved September 20, 2006, from University Library EBCOhost Most people that I know that have used performance-enhancing drugs have either died instantly, because they took the drugs wrong, or have died later on in life, but they only truly received half of their life, because it shortened their life, or they have ended up jail for life and end up dying in jail. I know this is not the route that anybody want to go with their life. So think about this stuff before acting to fast and hurting yourself and the people that love you.

This is why no one should not use performance-enhancing drugs in sports, because it is most likely that if anyone has ever taken one of these three drugs that he or she have had one of these symptoms. Additionally, another major reason that no one should not use these drugs, is because by using these drugs they may risk their lives for a little bit of pleasure to make them feel better. But by making yourself feel better you are just hurting the people around you that love you, because they know eventually sooner than later that you will die from these drugs. Performance enhancing drugs in sports has gone to where each athletic brings out the aggressive competitive side in individuals which is causing more problems daily. We should be able to participate in sports and not care who wins or loses.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I can see you've been working really hard! I'd be happy to give you some editing tips:

I will be telling everyone who [delete "all"] uses the drugs, the different types of age groups that are using these drugs, what different types of drugs are available [delete "that there is to use", the consequences of using these drugs, and the reasons why no one should [delete "not"] use these drugs to boost his or her performance in sports. In today's society the will to win has gone to a new level--even to the point where athletes use legal and illegal drugs to enhance their power and stamina. - I think your thesis is good, but the last sentence in the paragraph was a fragment, so I combined the two sentences.

But of all the things that you do as the parent of a student athlete, have you taken the time to talk to your child about the dangers of performance-enhancing drugs and supplements, and what all can happen to them if they get caught by the police or their principal [not "principle"] with these drugs? - Unless your instructor has specifically told you it's all right to write in the second person and ask questions of your readers, it's generally best not to, in formal writing.

You've done a lot of really good research! You might want to check the APA guidelines (or whichever citation form you are supposed to be using) to see how to do the parenthetical citations. Some of the information you have in your parentheticals belongs in the References section, but not in the in-text citations. If you do an internet search for "APA citation" you will get lots of good sites that explain the proper way to cite.

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Performance enhancing drugs in athletes.