Ielts writing task 2-permit students to freely choose any subject

kimnganngan 1 / -  
Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology. Discuss both this view and give your own opinion.

Select your field of study

------------------------------------
There is an increasingly growing popular idea that university should have permitted students to take part in any courses they want. There are others who carry the opinion that students must follow every class required at school. Both sides have, of course, their own merits, but I think the first view is more reasonable and this essay aims to prove my claim.

I'd like to start by saying that students can be more active if they have their freedom to choose favorite subjects. It is necessary because learners can try many courses that conformable to their wishes. Thus, they will definitely find out the weak or strong points and so on, they easily choose the subject as their major. Moreover, allowing students to study subject they like will encourage them to be more hard-working. I believe that the self-choice is obviously our own passions and of course, people will pay more attention and try improving as best as they can prepare well for future goals.

On the other hand, some colleges force students to learn subjects that is are important to society. In short, the professors suggest everyone to have a basic knowledge in order to seek a job without difficulty. For instance, to become a tour guide requires us not only to have a good grounding on history, geography but also speak fluently- which we achieve from learning Literature. Unfortunately, some students can not recognize its benefit, and feel obligated to study things that are not interested in and put them under pressure and stress.

Learning whatever we like enables us to orientate future ourselves. After discussing all the points mentioned above, I can finally conclude that university should allow all the students to choose any subject they like because of better motivation for studying.

------------
Thanks a lot for your feedback. What is my essay estimated band score?
Ngan, there is absolutely no way that you can score higher than a 4 with this essay because you did not follow the prompt requirements. For starters, there is no "growing popular idea" referred to in the original prompt. There is an "idea" coming from "some people" and that is what you should have reflected in the discussion topic. Do not put information into the essay that is not in the original prompt. You will be scored down in terms of Task Accuracy for even the slightest prompt and topic deviation. The correct paraphrase should have represented the given topic an discussion outline as follows:

When it comes to university education, there are 2 types of opinions regarding what a college student should be studying. The first opinion, is that the students should be allowed to study any course that appeals to them. They should be allowed to study only subjects that interest them. The second opinion, is that the university should only allow students to study science and technology which are subjects that will be needed in the future. In this essay, I will provide an expanded discussion of both points of view along with my personal point of view regarding the two opinions.

The above is an impressive example of a properly paraphrased prompt that uses complex sentences and vital synonyms representative of the original keywords. That is how your proper paraphrasing should look in the future. Now, let's move on to the bigger problem of your essay. The fact that you did not properly discuss the topic based upon the instructions provided to you.

You were instructed to discuss both points of view prior to your personal opinion. Instead, you took ownership of the whole discussion from the start and made it clear that you were discussing only your personal opinion from the get-go. This prompt deviation led to the score of 4 because you responded only partially to the task. Of the 3 discussions you were to present, you only presented one in the form of your personal opinion. That error in prompt discussion caused you to fail this test.

Home / Writing Feedback / Ielts writing task 2-permit students to freely choose any subject