Should pictures replace words on TV news and in newspapers?

HanNguyen0510 18 / 40 17  

more images instead of words in media?

News stories on TV and in newspapers are very often accompanied by pictures. Some people say that these pictures are more effective than words. What is your opinion about this?

Readers tend to exaggerate the role of pictures, which has occupied in most news on TV and newspapers. I do not agree that pictorial news can expose and determine the information better than words. To illustrate, I will first describe the prominent aspect of the pictures, and second, discuss its function as an illustration.

It will be vast and unorganized information if all the news arises without distinction, and notable news could not be found even though it carries exclusive information that is worth reading. Therefore, photos or pictures have been becoming an interpretation, which intentionally bloats and distinguishes a story from the news surrounded, so readers manage to discover and read it first. For instance, in the Fox News or the New York Times, the stories contain pictures that always capture reader's consideration prededence the rest of the news.

Besides, photos that included in the report are an adequate implication and explanation toward audiences. They might be able to infer and extrapolate data through illustration in a picture, so the content of the article could be understood prior to the entire story. Some editors or authors prefer to illustrate the content of the report by summarizing, and insert it into the picture as a short brief and introduction, which help them consolidate the prominent of the article.

In conclusion, the images, not only do it expose the news but also encapsulates its content. However, its role is unable to replace words, which are the most inherent part of one story
Hlx 2 / 3  
Hi Han! I am not professional, thus you can take the advice partially.
It is quite confusing since at the beginning you disagree with the proposed claim (do not agree that pictorial news can expose and determine the information better than words), but you continue elaborating the positive aspects of using photos through the ensuing two paragraphs. Nomarlly, If you want to dispute a claim, you should mainly stress the negative aspects of this claim. Even if you would like to illustrate the positive part, it should not occupy over 50% content of your essay. You may have to cite relevant examples to support your essay, or it is not convincing. I strongly advie rewrting this essay.
Han, your opening paragraph is very confusing to read. You have to remember that there is a difference between pictures published in newspapers and pictures used in the news reports. The prior is read while the latter listens to the news report that accompanies the picture. That difference should be clear in your presentation so that you can better explain the way that the news affects the people in different forms. Now, since this is a direct question essay. You should have stopped at the disagreement reference. The last line in your presentation indicates a prompt deviation because you did not focus on the correct discussion topic anymore.

Original Topic: Some people say that these pictures are more effective than words.
Your Deviation: I will first describe the prominent aspect of the pictures, and second, discuss its function as an illustration.
Your Actual Topic: I do not agree that pictorial news can expose and determine the information better than words.

You accidentally created a prompt deviation in your effort to try and create an impressive direct response. A simple and straightforward response is always the only think you have to present in a direct response essay. When you try to over do you presentation, there is a tendency for you to confuse the discussion, as you did in this essay.

Please be careful with your vocabulary use. There is no such word as "prededence", You mean to say "precedence" which means the condition of being considered more important than someone or something else. Review your essay every time before submission and make sure you have double checked all the scoring requirements to avoid point deductions once your work is scored. Every mistake has an equivalent subtraction from your total score, which could result in your failing the test.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should pictures replace words on TV news and in newspapers?