IELTS task 1: pie charts about the average percentages of nutrients

oneouran 6 / 13 4  

A Closer Look inside american meals

The charts compare the average proportion of three different nutrients (sodium, saturated fat, and added sugar) in typical meals in the USA.

Overall, it can be clearly seen that dinner contains a higher proportion of sodium and saturated fat than other meals. However, fewer nutrients are added in snacks and breakfast.

According to the charts, sodium takes up 43% and saturated fat accounts for just under 40% in dinner, which is the most significant fraction of all. By contrast, only 23% of added sugar are contained in dinners. Besides, lunch consists of exactly 29% of sodium and 26% of saturated fat, which takes the second part of the charts, while just under one-fifth of added sugar in lunch.

In terms of breakfast and snacks, which are healthier meals than dinner and lunch, contain less unhealthy ingredients, the figure for saturated and added sugar of lunch are slightly higher than in breakfast, about 10% and 3% respectively. As for sodium, both breakfast and snacks contain 14% sodium in it.

zagger_dat 1 / 2 1  
to begin with, they want you to summarize the information in the pie chart. that is they want the relevant information.
in my view what relevant is the composition of the useful '
- notice how breakfast has the least of everything - sodium, sugar and saturated fats...what conclusions can you draw from this ? why is breakfast considered the most important meal of the day ?. would you conclude that breakfast is the healthiest ?

- enter lunch, lunch has over 25% sodium and saturated fat but less that 20% added sugar. what conclusion can you draw from this observation ?

- dinner has over 35% sodium and saturated fat and less than 30% added sugar

-snacks have the most added sugar, minimal saturated fat and very little sodium.
ponder over the lives of people who focus on just one meal. say just breakfast or lunch or dinner. are they healthy ?
LUNA94 1 / 3  
Hi,

I personal think that your first and second paragraph can be combined as the first paragraph.

And the second and third paragraph is talking about dinner & lunch and breakfast & snacks respectively.

So that you can add on one more conclusion paragraph about nutritional imbalance as the question also mentioned about.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS task 1: pie charts about the average percentages of nutrients