"Place for growth both as a visionary and a human being." - Why Northwestern?

ddkk 1 / -  
Please critique, comment, and feedback :)
your help will be much appreciated.
thank you for your help in advance.

In the summers of 2007 and 2008, I volunteered to work in the slums of Ben Tre, Vietnam, through an organization called Loving Concern International. Seeing these Vietnamese people begging for help while living under unimaginable poverty not only surprised me but also challenged and motivated me to be a solution to this complex issue. Having the experience working with countless people who live under the shadow of death made me interested in establishing a Non-governmental Organization (NGO) that seeks to help people living in third world countries. My desire to create an NGO that not only thoroughly comprehends the society's needs and problems, but also intelligently solves them has influenced me to study Sociology.

As a person who aspires to create an NGO that seeks to bring justice and aid to third world countries, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences stands out to me because of its practical curriculum, global programs, and small class size. Attending Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences would contribute to my growth both as a visionary and a human being.

A Chinese proverb says, "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." What I love about Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences is that its curriculum follows this very Chinese proverb: it doesn't just give each student a fish, rather it teaches each student how to fish. Teaching their students to "learn [how] to make a difference in communities," students at Northwestern are positively reinforced to put what they have learned in the classrooms into real life situations through campus programs like Civic Engagement and Alternative Student Breaks. Given that I aspire to be a social worker who is engaged in communities, such programs will prepare me as a visionary who is equipped with not only knowledge, but also practicality and understanding in my implementation of this knowledge.

What also inspires me to attend Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences is how it provides students with the necessary tools to obtain a global perspective. Encouraging its students to study abroad for a semester or a year, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences prepares its students to become a global citizen. By taking full advantage of Global Engagement Summer Institute and Global Engagement Summit, I will not only have a broadened perspective of the world where I will serve, but also an awareness of the problems that I will solve - experiences that will have a significant impact in my establishment of an NGO.

Along with practical curriculum and global opportunities, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences provides the research opportunities of a large research university and still maintains the benefits of a smaller liberal arts college. Boasting its 7:1 ratio between students and faculty, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences will, regardless of Northwestern's large campus size, allow me to have a deep personal interaction with not only students but faculty as well. Having experienced significant intellectual and personal growth due to my interaction with my teachers in classes during high school, I have a firm belief that within a similar setting in Northwestern I will thrive.

A place that provides tools necessary for me to develop both as a visionary and a human being, Northwestern is, without a hesitation, my dream school that I will happily spend my four-years for.
writerblock 3 / 14  
1) "give a man a fish... capitalize a direct quote

2) without a hesitation,...without any hesitation?

3) I have a firm belief that within a similar setting in Northwestern I will thrive...

better) I have a firm belief that I will thrive at Northwestern, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences.

4) I didn't like the last sentence and I couldn't find a remedy.

5) On the substance: while you might impress a college faculty with the NGO, in reality, do you think creating another government organization will assist the Vietnamese? I think a group of people(individuals), who are committed to assisting those in need can do more than any government body seeking a paycheck for their services. Is there a Chinese proverb that suggests government involvement? Your observations are the same as others. Seek similar solutions or be different: be creative! "to be a solution to this complex issue."

I think you have a very strong essay, even if you don't make any corrections.

Home / Writing Feedback / "Place for growth both as a visionary and a human being." - Why Northwestern?