IELTS: Plan-cancelling letter to a friend

coke 14 / 28 13  
You and your friend booked two theater tickets in advance. Apology to your friend as you can't make it to the theater with him.

In the letter, you should:
·apologies
·explain what reasons you can't make it
·give options what can be done with the ticket.

flight tickets cancelling

Dear J,

I'm sending this message to inform that I won't be able to join you at the theater on Friday night.

I'm sorry that I have to cancel our plan this weekend due to an urgent situation. My boss has assigned me to go on a business trip on the same day in Danang because the junior employees are not qualified to handle this job. This deal is extremely important to the company and my career as my boss guaranteed a big promotion if I could seal the business.

I know that you have planned this night for months and you really want us to be in the movie premiere together. However, since this trip determines my future, I'd have to skip this time.

If you accept, I'd like to give my ticket to Tim, a friend of mine. This guy is hilarious and easy-going. I believe you'll have an amazing time hanging out with him.

Again, I deeply apologize that I can't go this Friday and hope that you understand.

Please give me a call if you want to re-arrange my ticket to someone else.
Your friend
Maria - / 1,098 389  
I would suggest that you revise your opening line.While it is nice that you are being straightforward, I would opt for less formal (not necessarily informal) ways to approach the topic.

For instance, I would recommend revising it into this:
I hope that you are doing well. I am writing to inform you that I can't make it to the theater on Friday night.

Starting your letter with a brief note wishing your friend well. This will enable you to have a friendlier approach to a seemingly monotonous letter. This is especially important when you want to reach out to a friend.

I would watch out for your usage of demonstrative pronouns as well. As I can observe from your essay, you had a tendency to overuse or misuse this particular portion of English grammar. This is a common mistake among ESL learners therefore is forgivable.

Let's look at your second paragraph. I would have instead phrased your second sentence as:
My boss assigned me to a business trip on the same day in Danang because the junior employees are not qualified to handle the job.

The following sentence also had a hanging line to it (incoherent and improper linkage of two separate sentences). I would revise it as well into:

This day is extremely important to the company. My boss has even guaranteed a promotion if I could seal the deal.

What I did was separate your sentence into two different ones. Furthermore, I had also ensured that you would opt to use a word aside from business because it was already utilized in the same paragraph. Using synonyms or similar words would be better for the overall flow of your essay because you wouldavoid any form of redundancies that can lead to poorly written work.

I would suggest applying these comments to the rest of the essay as well. As you had committed the same mistake in your following lines.

Best of luck.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Plan-cancelling letter to a friend