Playing electronic and computer games - Writing task 2

Hane1206 1 / -  
TOPIC:
Some people say that young people learn useful skills by playing electronic and computer games. Others, however, say that young people who play electronic and computer games are wasting their time.

Discuss both views and give your opinion

In today's modern society, there is a rapid increase in the number of teenagers playing electronic and computer games. While I accept that playing these games probably help children acquire various beneficial skills, I would argue that it is inessential to spend a large amount of productive time playing them. This essay will explore both sides with instances.

On the one hand, it is true that playing video games brings a plethora of benefits in terms of entertainment and education. The most noticeable advantage is that playing video games has a tremendously positive impact on children's development, through participating in intellectual games such as puzzle games with blocks or solving quiz games. This can encourage children's imagination and creativity, as well as concentration, logical thinking and problem solving. From an entertainment perspective, video games not only transport young people into the exciting virtual world, but also help to improve their motor skills for real-world tasks, such as flying planes or driving cars.

On the other hand, I strongly believe that teenagers can be adversely affected if they waste much of their time on overusing technological devices to play games. Firstly, video games include new targets and regular rewards during the playing process, which easily tempts children to glue to the screen of electronic media everyday. This type of addiction can have effects ranging from lack of sleep to problems at school. It is obvious that children tend to waste much of their time playing video games rather than doing their homeworks, hence their academic score suffers. Secondly, playing electronic games is also a contributing factor in creating a sedentary lifestyle of young people, which may cause the increase in obesity and diabetes.

In conclusion, although there is no doubt that video games have benefits for teenagers, from my point of view, overusing much of time on playing media games exerts a destructive influence on their academic progress and health.
The essay will automatically fail in the task accuracy section. The writer has created his own discussion prompt and topic rather than representing the original topic and discussion instructions in a restated manner. By altering the content and discussion slant, the writer has failed to follow the given discussion instructions and proven that he did not understand what he was supposed to write about and how. The lack of proper prompt restatement caused that problem, regardless of his stating that he will discuss both views and give an opinion. The paragraph does not require a repeat of the instructions. It requires a retelling of the topic and the writer's opinion sentence. Without that, the essay has already failed.

The writer does not provide the multi perspective discussion that the original prompt asks for. All of the opinions come only from his insight rather than a comparative discussion based on the public and personal understanding of the topic. As such, the writer has not met the writing requirements for the essay and may not receive enough minimal points to pass the test.

Home / Writing Feedback / Playing electronic and computer games - Writing task 2