Political Allegory

hannahkim91 4 / 10  
quick reviews please. help me edit this essay. animal farm as a political allegory of the russian revolution.

The novel Animal Farm, written by George Orwell explores the nature of the Russian Revolution of 1917. Every character in the novel represents a human that participated in the revolution. The main ideas, plot and schemes of the story are all following the horrible underlying narration that was based on a past history. Animal Farm is a complete political allegory.

The story begins with the animals wanting more power and equality. The farm resembles Russia, as each of the animals living in the farm resembles a Russian politician. Old Major, the prize-winning boar whose vision of a socialist, taught the animals Animalism and died before the revolution began. Old Major represents the German political economist Karl Marx as he invented Communism and died before the Russian Revolution. Old Major left Snowball and Napoleon, the other two boars in charge. Snowball, being a good speaker, wanted a better life for the farm but gets chased away into exile by Napoleon's dogs. As Snowball wanted a better life, Leon Trotsky also wanted to improve life for all in Russia and was a pure communist. He got chased away by Lenin's KGB secret police that supported Joseph Stalin. Joseph Stalin was not a very good speaker and just as Napoleon cared for power, they both killed opponents, and they both used propaganda to be more in control. The main characters represented a perfect past politician during the Russian Revolution.

For the corrupted Revolution to be achieved, propaganda was used. Squealer, the pig represented propaganda and spread Napoleon's propaganda among the other animals. "Squealer was sent to make the necessary explanations to the others." (pg.23) He spread false statistics for the farm's success. Power was very important to Joseph Stalin and with a secret police force on his side; he kept the country quite throughout the year. This is exactly how Squealer worked his way around the farm. He would keep the animals quite while changing and manipulating the commandments. "All orders were now issued through Squealer."(pg.62) Propaganda worked for Stalin to support his image and convinced the people to follow Stalin. The plans to achieve the same effect were used and with the farm getting out of control without the animals noticing is a perfect example of propaganda.

Both the Russian Revolution and the Rebellion in Animal Farm went wrong. The Principles of Animalism was being forgotten, "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." (pg.90) All the animals just agreed with the leader and followed their every instruction. As to Communism in the Russian Revolution, all people were said to be equal, but clearly Communism cannot be attained when wanting more power. Joseph Stalin fell short and didn't treat everyone as equals. As Napoleon takes over, he starts to beat other animals, trade with the humans and forget about the 7 commandments. Gaining power was both the leaders' intention, creating the Revolution to be a failure.

The Animal Farm is a political allegory and a dystopian novel. George Orwell wrote this book based on the Russian Revolution and basically showed how pathetic it became. Power took over the leaders and made life in Russia or in the Farm an appalling, astonishing event.
Gautama 6 / 133  
In the novel Animal Farm, the author, George Orwell, explores the nature of the Russian Revolution of 1917.

The main ideas, plot and schemes of the story are all follow the horrible underlying narration that is based on a past history.
Saying that the story follows the narration is redundant seeing as how the narration in most stories is what propells the story forward. You could say something like that the ideas, plot, and schemes of the story are based on historical events or are meant to represent historical events.

Old Major, the prize-winning boar whose vision of a socialistwith a socialist vision , taught the animals Animalism and dies before the revolution begins .

Joseph Stalin was not a very good speaker and just as Napoleon cared for power, they both killed opponents, and they both used propaganda to be more in control.

This sentence is awkward. You might want to break it into two different sentences.

The main characters represent a perfect past politician during the Russian Revolution.
What do you mean by "a perfect past politician"? The politicians that they represent were far from perfect. Perhaps you meant that they represent past politicians in a perfect way.

The plans to achieve the same effect were used and with the farm getting out of control without the animals noticing is a perfect example of propaganda.

This is another really awkward sentence. Reword it.

The Principles of Animalism were being forgotten, "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." (pg.90)

All the animals just agreed with the leader and followed his every instruction.

As to Communism in the Russian Revolution, all people were said to be equal, but clearly Communism cannot be attained when wanting more power.
"when wanting more power" When who wants more power? Add a noun to go with the verb. "As to Communism" What is as to communism? What are you comparing?

Gaining power was the intention of both leaders , causing the revolution to fail.

The desire for power took over the leaders and made life in Russia or in the Farm an appalling and astonishing experience .

Overall this is alot of plot summary. You have told the reader that this book is a political allegory and you have shown many many many examples of how this is so. You have not, however, answered why. Why would Orwell write this book? What is the point of the book? Why read it? Sure its funny to see Marx and Lenin and Stalin as pigs and other various farm animals but is that the only value here? Try to prove something about the novel that you couldnt understand just from reading the summary on the back cover. Make an argument. Answer a "why" question! :)
Snowball, being a good speaker, wanted a better life for those who lived on the farm but gets chased away into exile by Napoleon's dogs.

The principles of Animalism were being forgotten...

It seems like you could make the intro and thesis a bit more defined. The intro and conclusion paragraphs each need another sentence or two, just to build a strong foundation for the essay. Can you say something more specific than that it is a political commentary, etc? Say something more specific, something which is still supported by the body of the essay.

This is great, though; thanks for giving me a better understanding of Animal Farm.
As you rework this essay, think about how you can move, as you progress from the introduction to the conclusion, from a focus on the novel as an allegory about Russian politics to a focus on the novel as an allegory for all revolutionary politics. Why does the revolution fail? Is it really just because Napoleon wanted power? Don't all revolutionary leaders want to seize power? Does this mean that no revolution can ever be successful? And why don't the animals rise up against Napoleon? Sure, he uses propaganda, but the animals can tell that things are going wrong. Why don't they do anything? Who or what does Boxer represent?

There are many other things you could consider, but the above questions should get you thinking along the right lines.

Home / Writing Feedback / Political Allegory