IELTS--politicians and scientists, who are more important to the society

imnotjolin 2 / 4  
Some people say politicians promote the development of society. However others believe that it is scientists who have more influence on the world.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.

If the society can be compared as a piece of artwork, then the politicians are the craftsmen who measure the size of the art and frame it into the best condition to display its delicacy, while the scientists are the artists who draw on the blank and decorate with colors. Technically, it is hard to conclude that whose influence overtakes the other when both of them are so indispensable to the society.

Politicians, who are elected by citizens to represent their wills to manage their countries, devote their energies to enforce the regulations to maintain the social harmony and make decisions that can affect the national ups and downs in the future. Primarily, their interactions with other national leaders in the international affairs can determine the relationship between countries and the global cooperation. Meanwhile, their political proposals of tax and health insurance can influence the national economic development. Moreover, their personal charming in the pubic speeches can inspire millions of people to work the best of them and return to the society.

Although the scientists, whose space is narrowed to laboratories and academic journals by normal people superficially, might not be renowned as public celebrities as politicians, their jobs mark every milestone in human history. Without their endeavor in exploration and experiments, we are still the chimpanzees who use the wood to light a fire and walk with four limbs on the ground. The inventions like computers, televisions and airplanes drive us into better living standards with the technological fuels to accelerate the speed, which can never be achieved by the politicians.

In conclusion, both politicians and scientists are crucial in the development of society; the world can only thrives in both the guidance of politicians and the contributions of scientists.
Frank zhao 5 / 10  
Dear imnotjolin
I don't know whether it is fine to have a neutral oipnion in this question. By the way, the first paragraph is fantastic.

Regards
Frank
Frank might be right. It is good to express an opinion. If you feel neutral, it is okay to discuss your opinion in detail to explain fully, but... it is good to "choose a side."

If the society can be compared as with a piece of artwork, then the politicians are the craftsmen who measure the size of the art and frame it into the best condition to display its delicacy, while the scientists are the artists who draw on the blank canvas and decorate it with colors. ---I added a few words here.

Technically, it is hard to conclude that decide whose influence overtakes the other when both of them are so indispensable to the society. (However, if I have to choose one to name as the greatest influence I would choose _______, because __________________________________________________.

Although the scientists, whose space is narrowed limited to laboratories and academic journals by normal people superficially, might not be renowned as public celebrities as politicians, their jobs mark every milestone in human history. --Great sentence!

Okay, so... I agree with Frank. Choose one to name as the greatest influence! I think politics would not be possible without scientists.
;-)
OP imnotjolin 2 / 4  
EF_Kevin
Frank zhao

I adjust my viewpoint according to your suggestions, and rewrite the article as follow:

If the society can be compared with a piece of artwork, then the politicians are the craftsmen who measure the size and frame it into the best condition to display its delicacy, while the scientists are artists who draw on the blank canvas and decorate it with color. Technically, it is hard to decide whose influence overtakes the other, when both of them are so indispensable to the society. However, if I have to choose one to name the greatest influence I would choose scientists, because their contributions are more profound and everlasting in human history.

Politicians, as elected by the citizens to represent their wills to manage their countries, their performances are guided by the social norms and public consensus to maintain the stability of the society. They enforce the rules to regulate and optimize the operation, for instance, the proposals related to tax or healthcare to accelerate the development of economy, or international mutual benefit provisions to improve the relationships between countries. Almost every decision they make actually reflect the tendency of social needs rather than their personal charisma.

Although the scientists, whose space is limited to laboratories and academic journals by normal people superficially, might not be renowned as public celebrities as politicians, their jobs mark every milestone in human history. Without their endeavor in experiments and explorations, we are still the chimpanzees who light the fire with wood and walk with four limbs on the ground. The inventions like computers, televisions and airplanes drive us into better living standards with the technological fuels to accelerate the speed, which can never be achieved by the politicians who follow the choice of time rather than lead.

In conclusion, a dull picture can not become a noble artwork no matter it is framed with gold or diamond, however, the real masterpiece will never depreciate even without the rim. Therefore, the scientists have more influence than the politicians.
You did such a great job here!
Without their endeavor in experiments and explorations, we are still would still be the chimpanzees who...

In conclusion, a dull picture cannot become a noble artwork, no matter if it is framed with gold or diamond. Ho wever, the real ...

Do not use HOWEVER in the middle of a sentence unless it is like this:

The real question, however, is about correct grammar.

The way you used the word, it should be at the beginning of the sentence like I showed you above.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS--politicians and scientists, who are more important to the society