The popularity of reading news online means crisis for printed newspapers

TriceLiu 11 / 25  

Internet vs. Newspapers

PROMPT: Although more and more people read news on the internet, newspapers will remain the most important source of news.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

ANSWER: Nowadays reading news via online is gaining popularity. Despite this, some argue newspapers will still be the most essential when it comes to news sources. I completely disagree with this view as I believe online news will be more important than newspapers.

News websites and APPs are faster to report breaking news than newspapers. After writing a piece of news, correspondents only need to press a button to post it online, thanks to the instant nature of the Internet. Newspaper articles, on the other hand, would reach readers only after print and distribution, which could take a day. As a result, the public would rely more on the Internet for news, especially breaking ones.

Apart from on speed, online news wins newspapers on diversity of media types. Newspapers present news with words and pictures; websites and APPs could utilize a wide range of media forms, including audios and videos. These visual and acoustic reports convey more information than photos and words. They are also able to leave a deeper impression on people's mind. For example, a video from BBC news presented sounds of gunshots and babies crying at the end of a report. The video demonstrated the cruelty of war and could help its audience relate to people in the conflict-torn area. Audios and videos that newspapers cannot present make online reports more impressive.

In conclusion, the Internet would surpass newspapers in terms of importance, because online news is instant and includes more diverse media types.
jalp 13 / 34 7  
I think you should remove the word 'argue' in your intro. An argument wasn't mentioned to this prompt. Maybe use 'believe' or 'think' as a replacement.

APPs is stand for? This should be mentioned in your essay because not every reader can understand that.
Same goes to BBC.

I think you did great on disagreeing to newspapers being the most important source. Your grammar is definitely better than mine.

I hope this sort-of helps.
Shurui, I am impressed with the improvement in your writing. You have shown a tremendous amount of growth with this essay presentation. You have been paying attention the advice being given to you and properly applying it. A word of caution though, you should never use sensationalist references in a task 2 essay unless a "Debate" is actually inferred. Rather, always use variations of the word "discussion" because that is what the essays normally represent.

You should now learn to use transition sentences within 2 paragraphs that will help to connect 2 separate topics into one cohesive and coherent discussion. This is the only slight problem in your second paragraphs. After you said "instant future of the internet" the next reference sentence should have been a transition from online newspapers to traditional newspapers. A possible transition / connecting sentence would have been; "This is where the difference between an online paper and a printed paper lies." Then you could have continued with "Newspaper articles..." The transition sentence would have conneced the two different thoughts by presenting them in a connected meaning thus creating a more complex paragraph and showing off your ability to use various sentence and writing styles to improve your presentations.

Don't worry about the acronyms for the news sources. You will be wasting time and word space if you define internationally known news sources. It isn't necessary. Your concluding paragraph did not properly summarize the discussion topic points though and that, would have been a waste of scoring potential on your part.

Home / Writing Feedback / The popularity of reading news online means crisis for printed newspapers