Essay on Pornography (something you secretly like, but pretend not to)

drunk_ewok 1 / -  
One of the UVa Essay topic's:

Discuss something you secretly like, but pretend not to.

I've been brainstorming several ideas for this prompt, and one possibility is pornography. I'd choose such a prompt because writing about how you secretly like porn is a bit different from other run-of-the-mill topics. My worry is, however, whether or not that's taking it too far, and if it's too controversial/risque? Consider that this is not a conservative school, nor is it affiliated with any religion - it's a medium-sized public university.

Thoughts?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

This is the sort of topic where reasonable minds may differ. Some might consider that a bold and creative choice; others might, predictably, find fault with it. While I think that it would make for an interesting essay, looking at it strictly from a cost-benefit analysis point of view, you have to weigh whether the risk of offending or being perceived as somehow deviant is outweighed by the benefit of the points you'd score for creativity. Consider this: if even one of the people who is considering your application for admission finds this offensive, you're out, more than likely. My advice would be to find something a bit less controversial, or at least with little possibility of offending. While it's true that most people will probably write about something like a television show that should be beneath them, or a song by an artist they "should" consider silly, you'd be on safer ground with an approach like that. After all, it's really the writing itself that's important, not so much the subject matter. They don't really care what you secretly like, but they do care whether you can properly express yourself about it.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay on Pornography (something you secretly like, but pretend not to)