What are the positives and negatives of learning a second language as a child?

kimngan3110 1 / -  

pros and cons of learning foreign language early

Some people argue as to whether or not learning a foreign language at an early age is good for children. In this essay, I will explore the pros and cons of this argument with some relevant examples to support it.

On the one hand, there are at least two main benefits when developing a new language skill as a child. Firstly, many researches have shown that the best time to learn a new language is at the age of 3-6. The children's brains can easily absorb the new language without not much effort because they do not have any concerns or shyness like many adults have when they exposure to something new. Secondly, learning a new language at an early age help to prepare a better life for the child when they grow up. For example, in some developing countries such as Vietnam, learning English is really vital as it opens more opportunities to get a well-paid job and a decent life.

On the other hand, learning a foreign language too early can result in many unexpected outcomes. One of the negative points is that some children may not be ready to learn something new and many parents often tend to force their children to study when they do not want to. This can make the child have a fear for learning, or maybe it can deprive the peaceful childhood of the child. In addition, learning the language when too young can also cause many language disorders. Teaching language for a child is not an easy-going job, it requires many experiences and techniques, thus the wrong educational method can result in many troubles that affect negatively the child.

In conclusion, let the children learn a new langue can be good if parents and teachers know what is appropriate for the kids.
It is not a matter of exploring the discussion topic. There was a clear question asked, upon which the writer is expected to rpesent and opinion response at the end of the restatement paragraph. Do the advantages outweight the disadvantages? Yes or no? Which side does the writer support? Why? These are the series of questions that should have been answered in the thesis statement and succeeding discussion paragraphs. The writer chose to respond without a clear thesis statement and the summary conclusion did not provide a clear opinion based on the discussion topics presented in the original prompt.

Without a direct response to the question, the essay fails to present a clear opinion as required by the TA score. The unrelated discussion response fails to deliver what is expected of the essay discussion. The go-to discussion format of test takers is always the comparison presentationl. That is not the default discussion format for a task 2 essay. There are the single opinion essays, comparative essays, cause-effect, etc. All of which require specific discussion formats. This essay used the wrong approach because the student failed to consider the discussion requirement, which focuses on a single opinion response. Prove the other side of the discussion wrong in order to prove the writer's opinion correct. That is how the discussion must be approached, but that is not what was presented here.

Home / Writing Feedback / What are the positives and negatives of learning a second language as a child?