Is it possible to say a lot about person's culture and character from his/her choice of clothes?

Zainab110 2 / 5 3  
Question: Some people say that it is possible to say a lot about person's culture and character from their choice of clothes? Do you agree or disagree?

an outfit of a person means something

Answer:
To a certain extent I agree that custom and tradition can be predicted by one's choice of clothing. However, I also believe that personality of an individual has little or no connection with dressing style.

An attire of a person reflects its cultural and traditional values. Most of the People prefer to follow a particular dress code which is appreciated in their ethnicity. With time they get Comfortable along with it , regardless of time zone and location. For example , Muslim women prefer to wear a veil in order to cover their heads , called as hijab . They embrace this ritual and cultural identity with extreme gratitude and pride , wherever they go. By looking at this unique way of covering, one can perceive about their custom and religion. Hence, culture and way of wearing particular clothes are strongly correlated to each other.

On the other hand, character is a moral and mental thinking of an individual which has no link with a piece of clothing. Personality of a person is completely a distinctive quality.For instance, a group of people living in a community and sharing same pattern of clothing,culture , religion or even sometimes same profession but their characters could not be same . Some among them could be pious and soft hearted in contrast to other stingy and cruel fellow members..In other words, criminals and common men are having similar type of get ups, where as their action and mentality are entirely opposite. On the basis of clothing, it is hardly possible to differentiate these two categories of wrongdoers and innocent people. Therefore, it is apparent that character has no relation with coverings.

To conclude, I partly agree that outfit of a person gives an idea about heritage and customary ways , while nature of a person can not be define by it.
sfiza 17 / 28  
Dear, I have read your essay, you did not paraphrase your introduction that is why you have lose in TR criteria. Now I am going to suggest you how to develop a introduction in this types of essay. First of all you need to choose your supporting side of this prompt, then write the prompt differently changing word or synonym and different sentence structures, so that you can express that you understand the prompt fully. one more important think is that introduction must be 3 sentences at least.

Hope it help you
Zainab, you did not understand the task requirement. This is not an emotional extent essay. Rather, this is a single opinion essay discussion only. You are not allowed to discuss both sides of this issue. You are to only defend one side using acceptable reasons and examples based upon popular knowledge and personal experience. Unless an essay specifically dictates "to what extent do you agree or disagree?" , then you are not given the opportunity to use a measured response for the opinion. Additionally, unless you are asked to "discuss both points of view and give your opinion", you should not do so. When the question is as simple as "do you agree or disagree?" then it is a single opinion essay alone. This mistake can very well prevent this essay from garnering a passing score in the actual test. When you misunderstand the prompt to such a high degree, your TA score will fail. Once the TA score is failing, there is no chance of pulling up the score to a passing one using the remaining 3 scoring criteria.

Home / Writing Feedback / Is it possible to say a lot about person's culture and character from his/her choice of clothes?