The potential dangers. Do the drawbacks of video games outweigh the benefits?

Hunne 1 / -  

Do the drawbacks of video games outweigh the benefits?

In these days, with the light of proliferation of technology, many people, and children in particular, are passionate about playing games on digital devices. Even though some people argue that these games can play positive role in daily lives, I firmly convince that it can have potentially negative long-term effects on users.

On the one hand, it can be understandable that computer games prompt the players to entertain and study. Initially, there are a wide range of games are equipped with detailed instruction teaching fundamental attributes to players. For instance, Cooking Mama game bring an opportunity for players to know more recipes and gradually sharpen their cooking skills. Therefore, gaming applications are likely to accumulate the user's knowledge as well as skills, which is possibly necessary to become the fully participating members of society in the future. Furthermore, games designed with catchy tune, fascinating plot and beautiful characters also unwind the gaming players after a stressful week of work.

Notwithstanding all aforementioned merits, there are several incentives surrounding my outlook. First and foremost, there is a tendency that video games not only affect user's study adversely but also accompany with their health. In this day and age, users are constantly given scores, a new targets and frequent rewards to keep them playing. Nowadays, people may consider amusements as " must-have company" and glue to the smart gadgets whenever and wherever they can. As a results, sooner or later, they would be contracted with various illness and study downfall. To illustrate, in the statistics in my hometown recently, the majority of eye-weaken people, ranging from young to adult, spend at least 3 hours playing amusing app.

In conclusion, it may be desirable that although playing computer games broaden the horizon of gamers, in my perspective, potential dangers of these games are more significant than possible upsides.
The writer clearly understands what the discussion topic is about. However, his approach to the discussion does not follow the single opinion format as required. The examiner will fully expect the writer to strongly defend his opinion within the 2 discussion paragraphs. That means, the writer must follow the compare and contrast format for the response presentation. The format is:

Why is it a positive? State the reasons that would convince the reader it is truly a positive factor. Be as convincing as possible. Then, think about the same reasons and why it would be a negative. In this essay, the writer indicated that these games would sharpen the skills of the player. Yes, it enhances visual acuity, but it does not sharpen the real time, physical, practical skills of the player in terms of cooking. That is where the actual drawback of the benefit lies. The reason of the writer is then based on a proper explanation of the misunderstanding regarding skills development within a video game. This is only an example of the type of explanation that the examiner would tend to score more highly than the version the writer decided to use.

Remember that the clue to the discussion topics are presented in the original prompt. The keywords that represent the correct discussion are:

Video games
Harmless fun
useful educational tools
Adverse effect

These are the reflection points the writer must use during his outlining and drafting stage to allow for a prompt directed discussion leading to a balanced opinion presentation. By pairing the keywords for use in each discussion paragraph, the writer will reflect a fully developed discussion as expected by the examiner. He should present paragraphs that focus on:

Reason 1: Video games are harmful fun - health issues, lack of physical exercise, etc. may be considered for the discussion
Reason 2: Has an adverse effect as an educational tool - Lack of proper physical skills development in relation to the game being played. (e.g. Cooking Mama - physical knife skills, ability to properly use kitchen equipment, etc.)
Kjavier 1 / 2  
@Hunne
i would be great if you represent your ideas linked with the information about it in order to have a better solid concept and make your revisor believe that you really mean it and you are not just giving another point of view like anyone else could possibly do it.

Home / Writing Feedback / The potential dangers. Do the drawbacks of video games outweigh the benefits?