IELTS writing task 2 - the power of spoken communication

emem123 4 / 7 2  

the appropriate way of expressing our ideas

Some people think spoken communication is more powerful than written communication, to what extent do you agree or disagree.

Spoken communication could be powerful in some situation, while written communication could also be influential in some cases.

At most of the time, spoken communication could be more efficient and lively. First, oral communication could convey the message to the maximum number of people in the short period of time. When a president or politician gives a speech, they will definitely use oral communication, and broadcasted live to the citizens.

In addition, spoken communication is lively and could be contagious. When people wanted to express their emotions, speaking directly to others could make people understand your words, read your body language and facial expression. They could not only get the verbal meanings but also could read between the lines and know your underlying message.

On the other hand, written communication could be formal and well documented. For example, when one undergo a purchase procedure, both buyer and seller are required to keep a paper written contract. There are several reasons that written communication is powerful in this situation. First, legal evidence is available due to safekeeping the record. Second, referring the message will be easy and convincible. Finally, the chance of misinterpretation of message is very less, because the words are carefully chosen. Therefore, written communication is a formal communication, which is used in schools, college and business world.

In conclusion, both method of communication are powerful in some cases, people should choose the appropriate way expressing our idea at the certain moments.
The essay will get points deducted because you wrote less than the 250 word requirement. That's too bad, you were only 7 words short of the minimum requirement. Next time, try to write at least 275 words. An additional reason that this essay will fail is because you did not really get the paraphrase in the introduction right. Neither did you properly discuss the essay. For comparison purposes, look at the following:

OP: to what extent do you agree or disagree.
YP: Spoken communication could be powerful in some situation, while written communication could also be influential in some cases.

Where is the degree of dis/agreement? You did not indicate anything of the sort in any part of the essay. The proper paraphrase is:

Communicating with others carries more of an impact when done by pen. At least that is what some sectors of society believe. Others think that oral sharing of information is the more effective information dissemination tool. I believe that both are equally effective in terms of corresponding with one another.

In my version:
OP: ...to what extent do you agree or disagree.
MP: I believe that both are equally effective in terms of corresponding with one another.

The degree of measurement is "equally effective". Thus indicating a 50/50 degree of agreement and disagreement with the topic.

Your discussion paragraphs are good, but could have been more effective had you properly addressed the task question. The introduction and final paragraph are lacking in terms of minimum sentence requirements. You have to write at least 3 sentences for each paragraph to meet the word requirement. Avoid using commas in place of full stops to help clarify your thought and topic presentations per sentence.

Overall, this type of work is not within a 5 band score.
vananh1511 1 / 1 1  
There are several reasons that why written ...
Try to avoid common words like "easy", "efficent",.. Using "straightforward" instead of 'easy' and 'costumer' instead of 'buyer'.
johnle29 4 / 9  
You should state your own opinion "Do you agree or disagree" and if you agree, do you agree partially or completely?
Add this to your introduction

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 2 - the power of spoken communication