Practice Analysis Social worker in domestic violence setting

Jeremy Newcastl 4 / 8 2  
Greetings reader,

I wrote my assignment essay but my teacher keeps saying that it is bad. Could you please read it and indicate whether the work is good and where should I improve? Thanks.

Whilst completing this analysis, the confidentiality of all service users has been maintained and respected. Therefore, all names that are included within this piece of work are false and the original names and identities of the service users have been anonymised.

service-user analysis

The aim of this practice analysis is to focus on the significant involvement that I had with a service-user whilst I was on my placement as a social work student on a real life social work setting. In this analysis, I hope to explore and analyse my practice skills, experiences, and feelings and seek to obtain better understanding of the issues in this situation. The names of the service users have been anonymised for maintaining confidentiality reasons and therefore, the service has been referred to as Layla*. Consent from the woman was taken verbally and in a written form, which was correspondingly saved on their file.

Analysis is considered as one of the essential skills for social work professionals, as it plays a major role in developing a comprehensive understanding of the issues those have been examined (Wilkins and Boahen, 2013). Whilst I am analysing the situation, I hope that I will demonstrate `reflective thinking', which includes a profound understanding of our self and other aspects and the way they impact on our professional practice (Walker, 2011).

Furthermore, another skill that is considered to be important in social work practice is the 'Critical reflection' and I will try to demonstrate that I have gained this skill throughout my practice learning experience. It is a technique that reveals implicit thinking, by this way we are able to tackle inequalities, and this will lead to the achievement of more positive outcomes (Pockett and Giles, 2008:1-2).

I will start my practice analysis by introducing the context and practice situation and then I will explore the impact that I had on the situation as a student social worker. I will also describe the way I have managed the concerns of values and the way I have applied the ethics of social justice in this particular situation.

Moreover, I will demonstrate the way I understood and applied theories, methods and legislation in order to resolve the situation. Last, I will reflect a critical perspective on my self-learning needs and I will explain my perceptions along with the way through which I have learnt to use all this knowledge into my professional development as social worker.

The agency where I worked, is a community based voluntary sector agency, which is regarded as an experienced service provider in the city relating to the recovery of domestic abuse. Although majority of the service users are female, still the social profile of the community is very diverse with different age, ethnicities, cultural and religious backgrounds and their economic status.

The agency received a referral from Leicester social services in order to secure safe accommodation for woman and her two daughters. Layla* was originally from Afghanistan, but later she had moved to Holland with her family, where she had obtained her legal status. She was kept in temporary accommodation, before being admitted into refugee. She has disclosed to the family support worker, based at her daughter's school that she was suffering domestic violence from her husband.

A safety plan was set to help Layla* so that she is supported from crisis intervention which helped her to deal with this massive transition relating to the transfer or relocate to the family home. On admittance to refugee, she was supported to complete a risk assessment, where she has to experience high risk and would have been referred as Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC). However, this has already been conducted by the Leicester Police.

The outcome of this process was more about information sharing as the service-user was no longer in her danger area. While Layla* was in temporary emergency accommodation, she was supported by a solicitor to apply and obtain a non-molestation order, which purposes to keep the perpetrator away from contacting her and her children and keep them safe.

Layla* was never allowed a phone; she was given a new phone by social care, so they could remain in contact with her. Once at refuge she was supported to block her bank card and change her address. The perpetrator had kept her bankcard, using financial abuse to control over her. Layla* was supported to ring the Netherland's Consulate in Birmingham in order to obtain an appointment to apply for renewing her passport and identification card. This is important for her perspective as without these she could not have receive a new bankcard. Layla* applied for all relevant benefits but she was advised that she is not eligible for housing benefit, due to her legal status. However, funding for her accommodation was secured by Leicester social care.

Layla's* husband has been diagnosed with blood cancer, which he would try to blame on her and cause her emotional distress. Staff conducted a Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ9) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder Assessment (GAD7) mental health Assessments with her and she has revealed of both higher depression and anxiety so she was signposted to the local GP and referred to our Agency Counseling Service.

The service user is struggling with her religious beliefs and culture. She knows that based on Islamic culture if the wife leaves her husband, she should leave her children behind too with her husband and his family. However, she was warned by social services regarding the domestic violence allegations, that if she did not leave the family home to safeguard her children, they should be seeking legal advice to remove them for their own safety. One of Layla's daughters has learning difficulties but in the present day context, she has secured a place in local school, and has special support in place.

It is notable that for a period of 10 years Layla's husband perpetrated domestic abuse against her, which included emotional harm, control and physical violence with aggression. It is also found that this domestic violence is directed to her older daughter Amina*, if she intervened during domestic incidents.

Domestic abuse is a significant failure in parenting, which entails failure to protect the child's care and failure to protect the child's emotional and physical development. Moreover, Layla was supported to start ESOL English and math's course at the local Children Centre, where her youngest daughter attends nursery.

In the current day context, there is an ongoing court case in Derby County Court, where Layla's* husband has applied for contact with his children, and she attended the court. However, Layla's* husband verbally abused her in their native language, which was witnessed and recorded but the proceedings are still ongoing regarding contact. This whole situation had left Layla* feeling extremely vulnerable, helpless and confused and her mental and emotional well-being and family-life deteriorated significantly.

At the time, I had begun working with Layla* she was already supported with most of her urgent needs. Prior to meeting with Layla*, I researched literature related to Domestic Violence in order to develop better understanding of the nature and realised that although this is a social issue, which has been deeply rooted into the British History dating back to the 1395, when the first case was registered (Bowen, 2011:1). In addition to the disparity, women are twice more likely to be a victim of domestic violence than men in the UK, according to the Office for National Statistics (Travis, 2015). On a global level, the World Health Organization reports that 35% of women worldwide have experienced either intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime, and as many as 38% of murders of women are committed by an intimate partner (2015).

By understanding the issues surrounding domestic violence, and the deeply-rooted factors underpinning it, social workers will be better prepared to help victims of violence and sexual abuse. From the viewpoint of a social worker, the statutory duty when dealing with cases of Domestic Violence, the only aspect that comes into action, when there are children involved. In Layla's case, we have put her on the list and will be providing with counselling, as she is a parent of a child in need if it is considered that the service is beneficial to the child (Working Together to Safeguard Children, 2013).

I first met Layla* shadowing a co-worker in one-to-one session, where I reviewed her case notes, and I decided that the 'exchange model of assessment' would be good in order to gain a holistic understanding of the wider context in order to help her to find new way to address her issues (Goodman and Trowler, 2012:143).

By using the exchange model, I acknowledged Layla's expertise in her own life and problems and is set to support her to think through her own problems (Beckett, 2010:35). Later in one of our one-to-one sessions I encouraged Layla to try and identify some of the sources of support such as family and friends and see how they perceive the situation (Wilson et al 2011:289).

I acknowledge the fact that the exchange model requires a great experience on my behalf, which I lack, as I am student. However, I am learning how to use it; therefore, I tried to gain more knowledge in this model beforehand so I feel more confident. However, exchange model is extremely useful whilst working with vulnerable people like Layla*, as it allowed me to empower her to express her wishes (O'Hagan, 1996:135).

The impact of my role as an advocate in Layla's* situation was significant, as it gave me the chance to oversee all the support and services, which she was being already provided with and therefore what other service were available for her and her children. Layla's* case is complex and therefore If I felt that her needs were not being met I would certainly take action and negotiate for the requirements to be done so additional services to be added where possible (Wilks, 2012:49). Whilst working with Layla, I reflected on how important language skills are, as her native language is Afghan Persian and she does not speak fluent English, she struggles to express her feelings sometimes due to language barriers.

Advocating for Layla* enabled her voice to be heard and empowered her to move forward with her life, to provide her daughters with safe lifestyle and to improve her language skills so that she can start looking for employment when she is prepared (PCF 5.5).

Layla* became really upset due to the fact that her daughters were still allowed to have contact with their father regardless of the domestic violence that they have witnessed. In one of the sessions we had, she was visibly upset and distressed and stated that if it was not for her religious belief and her daughters, she would go on to commit suicide. She was in such a distress that she would not calm down and I had to explain to her that I would have to disclose this information and that the confidentiality agreement, which we have signed at her admittance, covered such disclosures (Data Protection Act, 1998).

During the whole process, I realized that in order to support Layla*, I will need to attain a Greater understanding of her situation. Furthermore, while working with Layla and other professionals, I have had the chance to recognize the domination of the immigration and social systems as her status is of an EU Citizen. However, because she is separated not divorced therefore she is entitled on benefits and child tax credits, which were not paid to her, so I had to work with other professionals in order to appeal and she was granted the support that she needed.

Being a social worker, the prior duty of me is to help Layla to lead her life with self-respect and dignity. In order to assure the same to Layla, I need to focus on her needs and current situation and provide her with support as per her mental and physical health requirements. Besides, I need to provide greater focus on the regeneration of her point of view towards life (Reamer, 1998: 495).

On the other hand, I need to focus on her nationality status, as she is actually a citizen from Afghanistan and has migrated to England. Layla and her family are currently registered under the refugee department of the UK. Therefore, my prime responsibility is to provide her with a national identity that would help me in finding a suitable accommodation for her. Considering the conservative mindset of Layla, she does not realise that her husband has raped her since their marriage. On the other hand, her husband is suffering from cancer, wherein she has been playing the role of her husband's fulltime caregiver. Besides, her husband is also mentally abusing her, as he thinks that Layla is the main reason behind his illness. By reviewing the overall scenario, I have come to learn that Layla and her both daughters need to re-establish their lifestyle and leave her husband immediately, withdrawing from these stereotypical views. Therefore, to provide a safe accommodation and other social services to Layla and her two daughters, I have decided to shift them to Coventry, where they will be able to lead their life in a safer environment (Orme et. al., 1998: 94).

In order to support Layla with safe accommodation, I have to focus over several dimensions of the society that can be highly useful for my practice purposes. I, being a professional social worker, have developed a team of five members, where the role of every person will be to support her and help her to lead a happier and healthier life. While supporting Layla, all five team members will be emphasizing the different problems that she has been suffering since last few years. Initially, I have appointed a financial planner who will provide better suggestion to Layla regarding her monetary expenditures. On the other hand, another member will provide cultural support to Layla and her two daughters in this nation (Goodmark, 2009: 1).

The social supervisor, who is responsible for providing cultural support to the victims of domestic violence, will thereby focus on their individuality and should respect their religious values. Besides, the social supervisor will also provide support to Layla considering her age and her cultural background. While the supervisor, responsible to provide support to Layla regarding her safe accommodation with respect to her religion, ethnicity and cultural background, will also participate in this session. This particular session will be helpful for me to gain knowledge regarding different cultural aspects and procedures of treating those challenges. Therefore, it will also be helpful in enhancing my personal development as a social worker.

As per the current legislative norms established by the government of the UK, domestic violence has been recognised as a major peril that has been hampering the self-respect of several people. It can also be identified that recently the UK government has declared domestic violence as a criminal activity. Moreover, due to the frequent occurrence of domestic violence within the society, it has been influencing the government to take proper measurements regarding the aforementioned case. Furthermore, being a major advocate of Layla, I suggest her to make a complaint against her husband in the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (Cafcass), to take her daughters' custody. Besides, most of the social service providers and anti-violence activists are conducting large numbers of researches, which will be able to provide effective prevention support by delivering effective interventions to the victims, assuring their recovery (Sakamoto, 2007: 520). To be noted in this context, the restorative justice system has been playing a supportive role for designing it as a legal case within the court. On the other hand, it is also important to note that restorative justice system helps social workers to conduct an informal interaction process with the victims, with the intention of better understanding regarding the entire situation being faced by the victims (Coker, 2002: 130).

I would also like to play the role of Layla's advocate in this situation, where I will focus on the various dimensions of this case. In the discussion session conducted between Layla and my team, I learnt that she has been socially isolated, as her husband forced her to. As she reported, Layla's husband did not allow her to talk to anyone else, she was also not allowed to go out of the house, except to leave her daughters to school. Moreover, Layla's husband also dominated her and forced her to follow traditional orthodox principles of Islam and partially that of Taliban (Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, 2001).

The anti-oppressive practice is recognised as an important part of the social welfare system that has been used for dealing with all the oppressions, observed within the society and in the life of every individual. The anti-oppressive practice is an innovative approach that has been used for treating a large number of domestic violence conducts reported within the society. Besides, this model is mainly involved in enhancing the empowerment of the service users' identity within the society (Gay, 2015: 9). With the help of anti-oppressive model, social workers will be able to highlight several observable points those should be focused by the social workers while they will be supporting victims for their re-socialization. With the help of anti-oppressed model, the cultural and mental supports will also be provided to those victims (Cook, 2006).

Conclusively, by reviewing the case of Layla, it can be identified that the domestic violence has become one of the most concerned factor among the several people. It can herewith be noted that domestic violence has been playing a significant role in hampering social harmony within the society. It elaborates about the miserable situation of Layla and her two daughters. Since the initial days of her marriage, she has been experiencing domestic violence that will hamper her self-dignity and self-respect largely.

Looking forward to your comments.
anggicaroot 20 / 19 3  

During completing the analysis, the confidence of services users that has been maintained and respected. All of identity that contribute in this paper are fake due to the fact that original names of users have been an anonymous.

- The aim of this practice analysis is to focusING on the significant involvement that I had with a service-user[.] whilst I was on my placement as a social work student on a real life social work setting.

- In this analysis, I hope THAT toCAN explore and analyse my practice skills, experiences, and feelings [.] and seek toI obtain A better understanding of the issues in this situation.

-The names of the service users have been anonymised ANONYMOUS for maintaining confidentiality reasons and therefore, the service has been referred to as Layla*.
-Consent from the woman WHO was taken verbally and in a written form ESSAY , which was correspondingly saved on their file.

Home / Writing Feedback / Practice Analysis Social worker in domestic violence setting