IELTS ESSAY PRACTICE: Computers replace human teachers.

sharkondiet 3 / 22  
It's been a while since I posted some essays (and actually, wrote one). This is the very comeback! :D Although time doesn't cause any strain any more, I am not satisfied with my vocabulary and idea flow at all. Seem to me that all the vocabulary I have learnt grow rusty. Welcome all feedback!

Topic: Some people think that computers and the Internet are more important for a child's education than going to school. But others believe that schools and teachers are essential for children to learn effectively. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

With the number of technological advances growing apace, it is generally believed that Internet and computers will supplant the traditional role of teachers in a not too distant future. This idea may point out to two main directions, both of which present different arguments.

Central to the supporting arguments of this issue is the idea that the global online network is the inexhaustible source of information, which definitely exceeds the fund of knowledge that any veteran teacher can accumulate. Internet and computer also offer a more comprehensive access to knowledge, ranging from visual to aural stimuli, which make learning an ever enjoyable experience, especially for children.

On the other hand, critics of this idea maintain that although the educational benefits that the Internet may yield are undeniable, there still remain certain shortcomings. Much information as the Internet may provide, most of the sources are unjustified by experts. As a result, information from those sources is subject to question. Admittedly, the computer can show whether an answer to a particular question is right or wrong but it cannot give as an in-depth explanation as a human teacher can. Through face-to-face communication, teachers can also pinpoint the weaknesses of each student and therefore, adjusting and tailoring his or her teaching methodology to meet the levels or the demands of those students. This is where the computer proves to be incompetent.

In short, although both sides have their equally valid arguments, I am inclined to think that although Internet can be a useful tool for education, at no time will the unique role of human teachers be replaced.
OP sharkondiet 3 / 22  
Thanks very much for both of your comments! :D I did take the test last Saturday (this was my second sitting - the first was 2 years ago). Luckily, I also got the discuss-both-views essay. But task 1 was quite astonishing to me - it was about the map description, really catching me unawares :D.
tinie 4 / 9  
I am a teacher. the present use of computers is very helpful in teaching but we can not summarily dismiss the presence of a teacher. good ideas.

good luck to you ;)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS ESSAY PRACTICE: Computers replace human teachers.