'the precondition of doing research by professors' - Toefl essay

Shirley0426007 6 / 13  
TOPIC: Some people think that a university professor should focus time on doing research; while others think that the main role of a professor is to educate students in a university. What is your opinion and why? Use specific reasons to support your answer.

Nowadays, many professors conduct research while teaching in colleges or universities. Although research could bring funding and latest achievements in the field, the research takes up too much teaching time. As far as I am concerned, professors should spend more time on preparing courses than research.

To begin with, it is vital that professors should assist students to acquire knowledge. The professors' duty is to nurture students, and prepare excellent courses. If professors spend a lot of time on research, he will cut the time on preparing courses is reduced, which may decrease the quality of classes. The reason why people enter a university is that they want to learn cutting-edged technologies. In this way, professors should provide well-preparation courses to convey the state-of-art knowledge for college and university students. Therefore, professors should pay more attention on how to teach students rather than conduct research.

On the other hand, if professors are busy in doing research, ignoring preparing appropriate courses for students, it would ruin the reputation of universities. Students are unsatisfied with the unprepared course, and the enrollment of universities may decline. Many students would not choose these kinds of universities to study. In this way, hardly can professors find assistants to help with projects. It is adverse to the whole academic field. Accordingly, spending more time to nurture excellent students is more consequential to professors, rather than research.

Nevertheless, professors could teach students through research and projects. Some students enjoy taking part in some research. Through to use the equipment and invent their own work, they may get more experience in the process of research. For instance, electronic students always invent new machines such as robots, MP3 and remote control car. They can manage the electric theory in practical skills. And some students will be rewarded by investing new inventions. However, only under specific circumstance, when students master all of the systematic knowledge, can they accomplish research. This is requires professors provide high quality courses. In other word, professor should concern about preparing class.

Consequently, conducting research is helpful for professors and students to some extent. However, the precondition of doing research is growing students' solid theory fundamental. Only by developing students, can we have a better academic field. Professors could combine doing research and preparing good courses in a dynamic way.
the research takes up consumes too much teaching time.

------------ just a suggestion : )

Good introduction!

The professors' duty is to nurtureteach students, and prepare excellent courses.

----- nurture is not the appropriate word here though it means to help grow, provide sustenance and cab be applied to knowledge as well as a person. If you want to use this word, you must say;

The professors'duty is to nurture students' knowledge.
OP Shirley0426007 6 / 13  
Thanks a lot dumi, your words is better than that before. Also, I will help others as much as possible.
esther3095 2 / 14  
Hey, nice essay. There are a couple of corrections though

he will cut the time on preparing courses is reduced <---you don't need the stuff in red, the sentence becomes redundant.

The reason why people enter a university is that they want to learn cutting-edge technologies....[such as?] just list one or two examples to make it a little more concrete.

In this way, professors should provide well-preparation courses to convey the state-of-art knowledge for college and university students. [I think this sentence is a little bit misplaced. The sentence after it makes a lot of sense with the one before it] I think you should find another place for the sentence or take it out.
I want stress on another point. You need to have examples to support your reasons. That is an important aspect for TOEFL independent task. Dont have two many reasons in one body para. Just give one reason and an example to support that.

Follow the four para structure (Intro, 1st Body para, 2nd Body para and the Conclusion) as it helps you manage time well at the exam.

Read the essays that are posted to this forum to get the knack of it and pick points.
joythblessy 86 / 272 15  
Hai...

In the second para you wrote professors should not go for researches.

Second para also wrote the same idea..

But you opened the second para with 'on the other hand' which means opposite.

So consider changing it to additionally or other same meaning words..
pawan457 2 / 6  
i guess you should come up with more stronger reasoning rather than just stating pros and cons.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'the precondition of doing research by professors' - Toefl essay