What would I prefer- long hours more money or short hours less money-critique

riyak 6 / 13 1  
Which would you choose - a high paying job with long hours that give you little time with family or a low paying job with shorter hours that give you plenty of time with family

My choice would depend on what I want out of the job rather than the length of time I need to put in everyday or money that the job pays. However, if I have to strictly pick one, at this point in my life when I am still young, I would pick a high paying job with long hours.

First , I am still in the prime of my youth and I recognise this as the time I need to work the hardest to build experience and to grow professionally. These days,it is a normal expectation of most jobs that the relatively newer/younger employees puts in long hours and most jobs don't even compensate such employees in proportion to hours put in. Therefore, if I am required to put in long hours and in return I am paid adequately, that would rather be my good fortune. Ofcourse, it is subject to the condition that I am learning something in my job and not just performing mundane, mechanical work.

Second, since I have plans of higher studies, I will need to save money. If I can earn more, it will only help me save faster and pursue my goals sooner. Therefore,this is another reason as to why I will probably pick a job which pays me higher.

Third, as I only stay with my husband( who works long hours) and I do not have children yet, I do not think I will be making too much of a sacrifice in terms of spending time with family, if I choose a job that pays well but needs me to work long hours.I would much rather put in long hours and earn more when I have the luxury of time than later when priorities in my life will change.

In conclusion, as of today, my choice will definitely be for a job that makes me work long hours and pays me well provided ofcourse I am learning something each day.
My choice would depend on what I want out of the job rather than the length of time I need to put in everyday or money that the job pays.

This sounds like a direct answer to the prompt. It is not wrong, but this is a writing task that judges your writing skills. So I feel it is better you adopt a more essay type approach in your answer. As per the recommended structure, you need to start with introducing the topic to the reader in the introduction. :)

Then you state your opinion about the argument .
OP riyak 6 / 13 1  
Dumi, thanks! is it okay otherwise?
Well... you display good writing skills. But I think you need to grasp the easy and appropriate essay structure for this task. I have stated that in many other threads.

First , I am still in the prime of my youth and I recognise this as the time I need to work the hardest to build experience and to grow professionally.

... For me, this looks more like a specific example. If I wrote this essay, this is how intro and the first body para would go;

People have different preferences with regard to careers. For some, it is the salary that gets the highest priority over everything else. However, others look for comfort and convenience the most.(up to this point, it is the introduction) In my case, I would choose a job that pays me high though I have to sacrifice my personal life for long hours it demands me to work. (this is your opinion) .... INTRO

First, the phase of life that a person undergoes influences his or her choice of job. (1st reason)For example, I am still young and have less commitments. Therefore, I recognize this as the time I need to work the hardest to build experience and to grow professionally. (specific example)

Hope you understand my point :) .... However, you are really good at writing and get hold of this structure that would help you a lot in tackling this task :)
OP riyak 6 / 13 1  
Thanks so much! i will post my next essay soon and may be you can critique

Home / Writing Feedback / What would I prefer- long hours more money or short hours less money-critique