Essay: Preserve the old buildings; keeping distinguishing features of a city

camellia2008 12 / 7  
Topic:Should a city try to preserve its old, historic buildings or destroy them and replace them with modern buildings? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

In my point of view, maintaining its historic buildings of a city could outweigh being substituted them for modern buildings in term of keeping its distinguishing features.

It is easy to duplicate the appearances of other cities; on the other hand, it is much less likely to keep the old buildings all the time to remind people of the history of a city. A unique city should have its own historic spots; otherwise, the general appearance of a city could be monotonously uniform as those in other cities. Here is an example: As a student majoring in mass media, I have reported a issue of the regeneration of Jian-Chen Circle in Taipei City, which is a controversial debate between the citizens and the government. The reconstruction of the place cannot attract the residents and tourists anymore. What is wrong with links of process? The major problem is that the designers do not revival Jian-Chen Circle by using local characters but ruin the original social relationships and constitutions of Jian-Chen Circle. In addition, the planners transfer overcharged foreign buildings but neglect its local environment, and habit. As far as I am concerned, take this as an example, making changes in the old building destroys its own uniqueness and value.

Furthermore, the old historic buildings and structures could present the vitality and characteristic of a city. As a travel lover, I might look forward to visit the historic spots of cities. When staying in Shanghai, which is a famous city in China, I found that the city has a rich collection of buildings and structures of various architectural styles, including the areas of the former foreign architecture in early 20th century. During decades, Shanghai ,where can be found for not only Western architecture but also traditional Chinese buildings, displays an even greater array of its particular type of architecture. It was the most commemorative part of the trip :when I strolled along the streets, it seemed to tell a story in the past. Consequently,I think that people should preserve the old buildings of a city in order to keep its cultural qualities.

To conclude, some cities might sustain the pressure of promoting competition after internationalizing, faces the depression of its local industry culture as well. However, if a city could not keep its representative old buildings, the architectural styles of the city would be assimilated into other cultures. For the above-mentioned reasons,my position on the issue is to preserve the historic constructions.
In my point of view, the importance of maintaining the historic buildings of a city could outweigh the value of replacing them withmodern buildings . The old buildings are the city's distinguishing features.

Here is an example: As a student majoring in mass media, I have reported an issue of the regeneration of Jian-Chen Circle in Taipei City, which is a controversial debate between the citizens and the government...

As far as I am concerned, take this as an example, making changes in the old building destroys the city's uniqueness and value.

Furthermore, the old historic buildings and structures could represent the vitality and characteristic of a city.

For this sentence, I can't figure out what you mean, but you should have someone help you fix it: To conclude, some cities might sustain the pressure of promoting competition after internationalizing, faces the depression of its local industry culture as well.

I see you put a lot of work into this!!

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay: Preserve the old buildings; keeping distinguishing features of a city