Unanswered [2] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Writing Feedback Posts: 2

The presumably known Palean baskets are not uniquely Palean - undocumented conclusion (GRE argument)

anandshende  

GRE Argument Analysis - Palean Baskets

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The arguments concludes that the presumably known Palean baskets are not uniquely Palean. The author makes the conclusion without bringing enough evidence to light. He misses out on important evidences which can clearify the doubts regarding the origin of the baskets in Palea.

The author in the beginning of the argument states that the baskets were found at a place in the vicinity of Palea and was therefore believed to be made by the Paleans. There is no firm evidence that points to the fact that the baskets were made by the Paleans or not. If the Paleans weaved those then where did they weave the baskets? Was there a workshop? How many craftsmen were required? What was their style of weaving? Answering such questions can shed more light on the possible origin of the baskets.

Moving forward the author next writes about the discovery of such a basket in Lithos across the Brim River. Again no further investigation was done into the occurrence of the basket in Lithos. The argument misses to identify the source of the basket and leaves a grey area, so a number of questions can be asked such as - Whether the basket was produced in Lithos itself? Where this a result of trading with Palea or somewhere else? Certainly these questions can nullify the argument if found to be against the argument.

Moreover it is a case of just one basket being found in Lithos. The author finds the evidence enough to suggest that even the people in Lithos used to produce or use such baskets. The basket could have been displaced there at some time later in the history and we are just finding it there. This is discovery needs to be investigated further before making any conclusions.

Lastly, the author specifies a geographical evidence of the Brim River being very deep and broad, and that it can be crossed only with the help of a boat. He further states that the no boats were found and draws another conclusion that the two cities across the river were not connected and hence there weren't any trade routes. This point to another hole in the argument, the author fails to mention about the efforts to find the missing boats. He also assumes that crossing the river can only be done using the boats. May be the Paleans had a different mode of transport between the two cities.

Also geographical evidence of the river being of same width and depth in the Palean times is missing. The river could have been of less depth or in those times there wouldn't have been a Brim river, and later in history because of some environmental impacts the Brim river is deep and broad.

Therefore, the argument stated is flawed and based on the assumptions discussed. To firmly know whether the origin of the basket is in Palea or no, the author will need to find out why was the occurrence of the basket in Lithos.Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Therefore, the argument stated is flawed and based on the assumptions discussed. To firmly know whether the origin of the basket is in Palea or no, the author will need to find out why was the occurrence of the basket in Lithos.

Holt [Contributor] 1595  
Anand, please post the essay only once in the text box. Redundant postings of the same essay in the box takes away precious time in analyzing your written work. If you accidentally posted it twice and you see it in the official thread, you have time to edit your posting to remove the second post of the same essay, It makes my job as a contributor easier to do.

In reference to the actual essay though, grammar issues aside, you presented an excellent argument regarding the shortcomings of the original author's discussion and supporting presentations. I believe that this essay has the potential to score around a 5 or close to it in an actual setting. That is because of the clarity in your discussion. However, you need to work on some grammar issues such as the proper sentence formatting and English vocabulary. For example, it is incorrect to say "This is discovery" but it is correct to say "This discovery". Know when connecting words are needed and when it is not required. You need to have more practice in that aspect of sentence development. Otherwise, this is a very well developed essay. If you are aiming to get a score of at least 6, then you need to develop your use of transition sentences and you need to improve your vocabulary in terms of fluency and sentence variety.

Home / Writing Feedback / The presumably known Palean baskets are not uniquely Palean - undocumented conclusion (GRE argument)