Privacy of celebrities - the inevitable price of a public figure?

subhash_ghosh 11 / 29  
Topic is - We laugh at the naiveté of celebrities who complain about the public's fascination with the intimate details of their lives. Movie and television stars, pop singers, politicians-public figures all-should necessarily understand the inevitable price of becoming a public figure is the loss of privacy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

The question of the privacy of celebrities is an interesting one. On one hand their entire lives and careers are based on being in the limelight and on adulation from their enthusiastic devotees, on the other hand, like every other individual, they also pine for protecting the intimate details from prying eyes of the people. In my opinion, the speaker is correct while saying that the celebrities should indeed come to terms with the price of fame, which is to say that anyone who becomes famous inevitably loses the privacy of his life.

To begin with, the various celebrities are in professions as acting, media, politics in which they constantly seek approval of common people for various things as their acting or speaking prowess, or their ideas , to name a few; or to ensnare the people by endorsing consumer goods. For example, a popular model night be dressed in scantily clad clothes to endorse a skin protection cream, or a pair of popular actors might have featured in explicit scenes in a movie. In these cases, their privacy is automatically thrown open to the mercy of the public and even when they appear in public life as a normal human beings, their not-so-sober images are automatically and perhaps indelibly etched out in people's mind.

Then again, public figures as politicians are constantly in eyes of public owing to the nature of their jobs and because their success and survival depends on the public approbation. In such instances, any attempt to hide the aspects of their behavior and lives can give rise to further calumny and suspicion, and may often lead to downfall.

Furthermore, it has also been observed on several occasions that many celebrities at the fag end of their careers or past their prime resort to improper acts themselves to relive their heydays. It is not uncommon these days to witness pop-singers or actresses dressing inappropriately in public, or for a politician to pass slanderous remarks against his adversary. These unwise acts of incitement can also result in focusing of media and people in an obtrusive manner, to the extent that very soon the attention can become unwarranted and persistently annoying to the same people who had wanted some of it in the first place.

It may be however argued that people who live in constant media and public attention are entitled to their own private moments just like the other human beings. However, it ought to be noted as well that while any human being indeed deserves some inner breathing space, the very nature of a public life, the pervasiveness of media and the reasons owing to which so much attention and praise is heaped on a celebrity causes the curiosity in common people, justified or unjustified, to multiply further. In modern day world, it is simply not prudent to assume that fame can be selective, or media coverage of any popular celebrity can be filtered and diminished.

Thus, in summary, while it is true to that celebrities indeed deserve and need some solitude and privacy for various reasons, they should realize that constant media and public attention is an inevitable and intrinsic part of fame and fortune. This becomes even more pronounced and crucial in instances when they themselves seek glory and success in the eyes of people, because curiosity for a popular person is always aroused and sustained more by the constant feeding of facts and rumors by media and occasionally, by their own subtle and indiscrete acts.
The question of the privacy of celebrities is an interesting one.

Maybe, but this sentence is not interesting. You should change the end of it so that it says something different about that question of privacy.

Also, you can add brevity:
The privacy of celebrities is ...

Furthermore, it has also been observed on several occasions that many celebrities at the fag end -- this might not be the best term to use because the word has a negative connotation.

... to witness pop-singers or actresses dressing inappropriately in public, ---- you have to mention actors and actresses, because if you only mention actresses dressing inappropriately it seems like you have different standards for men and women.

or for a politician to pass slanderous remarks against his her adversary.
(Be careful! You wrote about 'her' dressing inappropriately and 'him' being a politician. Let's be gender neutral.

Hey, to have some well written sentences! If you want to add a new dimension to the essay, consider the perspective of the fans. Should I infringe on the celebrity's privacy, or should I hold myself to a higher standard of respectfulness?

:-)
OP subhash_ghosh 11 / 29  
EF_Kevin
I did not get what you mean by "Hey, to have some well written sentences!". Please explain.
Ha ha, sorry! I was trying to type, "You have some..." and I accidentally typed, "to."
OP subhash_ghosh 11 / 29  
Cool :-). I got it now. Thanks for your suggestions.

Home / Writing Feedback / Privacy of celebrities - the inevitable price of a public figure?