When proffesors give project on which students must work together, the students learn more effective

pier 11 / 37 9  
Agree or disagree? when teachers assign a project on which students must work together, the students learn much more effectively than when they are asked to work alone on projects? Use specific reasons and examples.

working together on a project

Teachers practice different methods to teach their students. One way that many teachers prefer to do is to ask students to work together in their project. However, in my opinion working together for projects causes several problems. First, the learning process needs personal experiences which might not happen in a group project and second, it might results in conflict, eventually.

To begin with, learning effectively has different steps which one of them is working in groups. However, when students are in its initial step, working together is much of a problem than the answer. Consider as an example that two students want to make a woody bicycle, none of them have enough experience working with wood which results in not finishing the job.

On the other hand, if one of them has enough experience and others lack such experiences, the end result would be a division between group members. This happens because the student with more experience cannot stand others to made mistake and he or she wants to be the dominant person which this behavior disturbs the other members. Finally, it will either end up in a conflict or a situation where the experienced student should finish the job because others are reluctant to participate. These outcomes are completely opposite of the intended goals.

Nevertheless, there are some points in working together that helps children in the future. For instance, students can learn how to stand different attitudes and manners in a cooperative environment.

Overall, when it comes to working in group different results might influence the outcome but learning effectively is not achievable until students have already learned the basic principles.
Behzab, you are not discussing this essay in the proper manner. The prompt indicates that this is an agree or disagree essay that must be supported by reasons and examples. What you presented in the paraphrase was the impression that this will be an opinion paper based on a discussion of the two points of view. That is an unacceptable prompt alteration. It is an alteration because it does not provide insight in the manner that is dictated by the original prompt. Since this essay does not properly address the TA requirements, your score will be a low 2 because it barely responds to the task. Your opening statement is not even a representation of the TA requirements as it does not paraphrase the original presentation that was provided to you. The paragraph discussion is too busy presenting various reasons and not enough examples. This caused an incoherent and non-cohesive presentation for your discussion. Again, the biggest problem the essay has is the prompt deviation. You should have simply said you do not agree with the idea that students should work together on a project then defended your solitary stance on the matter. Again, when there is a choice to be made in the discussion, only one discussion development should be presented. If one is asked to "discuss both opinions", then you can do a comparative discussion of the two sides.
naseernasrati 14 / 33 10  
This is a agree-disagree prompt and the way that you started the introduction of your essay is not a good way to start agree disagree prompt.

at the first of your essay you should state that you agree or disagree, then go through completion of your introduction.
as well at the end of your essay in conclusion you should state it again but not the same words as in the introduction, by paraphrasing.

for example:
I disagree the statement that teachers should practice different methods to teach their students, because it causes many problems which i will discuss as follow.....

and about your paragraphs:
your two last paragraphs are not long enough.
just one sentence as a paragraph is not interesting.
try to have at least five paragraphs including introduction, 3 body paragraph and conclusion.
OP pier 11 / 37 9  
Thank you @Holt and @naseernasrati, you both are right.
I change it tho this:

Teachers can assign individual or collaborative projects to students in order to teach them course material. Although there are some benefits to collaborative projects, I believe giving students group projects is not as effective as it seems because it might cause several problems.

First, if a student does not contribute to the group, other members become reluctant to contribute, too. As a result, group members won't share their experiences and nobody learns anything. For instance, while my professor assigned a group project to us in the university, one student did't share his findings in the weekly sessions. After a while, other members began to do the same thing and suddenly, nobody shares his or her research. So we have just sat and talk about daily incidents without learning anything useful from the project. Additionally, in a two member group if a student won't contribute to the group, the whole responsibility might go over one person and consequently one student does not try enough finish the project.

On the other hand, when you do a project alone you encounter many problems which leads you to do research and find a solution for them. While in a group work you are depending on others to solve the problems. Consider that your teacher gives you a programming assignment to write a website. If you work in group, you have to wait for your counterpart to design the website, therefore you won't learn how to design a website. While if you have worked alone, you could search for a tutorial and master it your self.

Finally, even though collaboration can reduce the project time, it cannot teach students more effectively than when they work alone.
Onyinye123 2 / 3  
@pier

Hello Pier, your second draft is a lot better. However, there are some sentence construction errors in the 2nd paragraph.

"For instance, a while ago, my professor assigned a group project to us, one student refused to share his findings during weekly sessions...So we just sat and talked about...

Home / Writing Feedback / When proffesors give project on which students must work together, the students learn more effective