"Promised end" the soul yearns for to be thwarted by the demand of history

sarahmk 22 / 55  
Hi i was wondering if you could help me explain this thesis, i dont understand the statement:

"Whatever 'promised end' the soul yearns for, must be thwarted by the demands of history."

thanks soo much
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

It seems like it is a philosophical statement similar to "history is bound to repeat itself". Whatever the soul wants, if the actions of others are not heeded in order to get it, is bound to repeat their mistakes.

What do you think?

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP sarahmk 22 / 55  
thanks for everything i just need help with this assignment

Can you help me with my grammar and spelling, and changing up so of my writing to make it sound better!

The Thesis of the essay

The thesis of the essay is: "Whatever 'promised end' the soul yearns for, must be thwarted by the demands of history." This is a philosophical statement similar to "history is bound to repeat itself". Whatever the soul wants, if the actions of others are not heeded in order to get it, is bound to repeat their mistakes. Lear continuously makes mistakes, especially when he chose to give power to Regan and Goneril, causing him to lose his one true daughter, Cordelia. When he finally realizes his faults, its to late for him to make a mends with Cordelia, since his past mistakes prevent him from doing so.

I basically had to summarize the points below that are in bold. My summary is in Italics. Do you think i summarized the main points? Can you help me to make my writing sound better.

Main Points:

GODDESSES

-In the world of Lear the characters find themselves in some conflict with their roles - as King, Father, everyman, God-on-Earth, daughter, bastard, loyal servant, madman, traitor.

- It is not so much raw aggression that leads to tragedy, but the loss of control that results from a simple refusal on the part of a "character" to conform to a "role".

- Cordelia, the youngest and fairest daughter of the King refuses to play the role of the daughter of the King. She insists upon speaking as the woman in Cordelia, not the daughter of a King. She shows rebellion against her social role.

- The authority of his role as a King overwhelms Lear. He is a human being dying inside an archetype. His own self has been lost to any role that might be accommodated in he structured world of man, of politics, of history.

Majority of the character's in the play King Lear, have some conflict with their roles. An example would be Lear whom has a hard time distinguishing his role as King, from his role as being a father. This results in him being arrogant and prideful towards his daughters, especially Cordelia.

A KINGDOM WITHOUT A QUEEN

- In the play the ultimate tragedy is the experiencing as "enemy" the entire female sex, even one's dead and buried and presumable docile queen.

- Shakespeare deliberately changes the evil rebellious sons from the original story to daughters in order to give a poetic wholeness to the anti-feminine brutality of the play.

- In a causal sequence, Cordelia initiates the tragic action; her sisters continue it, her sister's die, but their evil continues so that Cordelia herself is executed, as a consequence of feminine rebellion of one kind or another.

- Edmund is the only male showing rebellion towards his father, but he is a bastard who has sprung from some "dark and vicious place" (that is, an unmarried woman's womb).

- But Cordelia is though of as the only savior possible, who on the gentleman's words, "redeems Nature from the general curse/which twain have brought her to" (IV, Vi, 2023.)

In King Lear, femininity is seen as being "evil." Shakespeare portrays his female characters as vengeful, selfish and prideful who use their innocence to get what they want. The female's sexuality is known for being sumptuous. However in King Lear, the female sex implies deceit, which can be seen in Roneril and Goneril actions who end up causing their innocent sister Cordelia to be executed.

GRACE

King Lear embodies spirituality. Lear in visions him self as a "spirtual" being, so rather than him reaching out to God, he chooses to reach out to a higher form of himself. Lear endures an alteration that takes him beyond himself.

- The neurotic unfulfilled personality indicates a higher self, the potential for fulfillment o a higher level that is totally lacking in content, "normal" human beings, who have reached the end of their development.

- In order to complete his soul and be redeemed (to complete his fullest identity) the hero must unite with the element that seems to oppose him. Lear's maximized capacity of tyranny can only be challenged by the rebellion of a spontaneous intuition within the soul, but out of reach of the conscious mind.

- Therefore, Cordelia is instinct's insuperable truth, required by Lear's one-sided soul.
- Cordelia functions as the embodiment of grace, - the redemption of the personality from the inside, out of the control of the conscious will.

Can you help me? I dont understand, can you give me a heads up on how to start my summary, and what too say?

thanks sooo much

Home / Writing Feedback / "Promised end" the soul yearns for to be thwarted by the demand of history