Promoting Firearm Safety in Children, A personal essay about a "Radical Act"

johnnymayer 2 / 2  
Hey there y'all in essay-land. This is an essay for a 100 level freshman course with a semi-tough grader. It is about a 'radical act' of protest we have done. I feel like it is pretty decent, I would love constructive criticism on improvements and the like. I can do two revisions before the final paper is due. This is my first rough draft.

The assignment is as follows:

Radical Act Essay: Write about a radical act of protest, self-expression, or courage that you want to do but have not done. This must be a socially positive act that is entirely legal, does not put you in any danger, and will not be mean or unfair to anyone. In the first part of your essay, tell the story of why you want to do this radical act. Then do it. In the second part of your essay, tell the story of what happened when you did it and how doing it made you feel. Your essay should fill up one sheet of paper, both sides, double spaced. You may write more if you wish.

Radical Act: Promoting Firearm Safety Education
The NRA states that 0.5 percent of accidental deaths in the USA are caused by firearms. I believe that through the promotion and undertaking of gun safety training, education, and experience that number can reach zero. In my opinion I feel that gun safety should be taught to all people, especially to families and homes where there are firearms on the property. I strongly encourage all people, specifically firearm owners to be educated on the safe use and ownership of such a powerful device. I also strongly encourage those with children and firearms to teach their children gun safety from a young age. Oftentimes children have a less distinctive grasp between fantasy and reality; they may find a gun and think that it is a toy. Gun safety can teach a child that a gun is not a toy; it is a powerful device that should only be in the hands of an educated individual.

I want to encourage people to educate their children on gun safety. The media, video games and uneducated adults for years, have demonized firearms. They are no more than a tool with which one can protect their home, protect their family, protect themselves, hunt, and shoot recreationally. Through proper education, starting with gun safety in children and young adults, firearm accidents up to and including deaths can be prevented and may disappear all together with time.

I have designed a small 5x7 flyer that advertises the four main tenants of gun control safety for children. The NRA states that most things a child should do is "STOP!" and "Do not touch." Steps encouraging the child to leave the area and tell an adult directly follow these two steps. It is important to teach children all four of these steps so that they will have these safety tools at their fingertips if they do find a gun while playing.

I set out on Thursday, November 3rd to distribute a small stack of these flyers that I produced. I was a little nervous at first. Where should I distribute them? Are people going to challenge me? Are people going to think that I am a crazed "gun nut"? I put the worries aside and set out for downtown. I picked the corner of SW 4th and SW Morrison. I picked this spot mostly for its high foot traffic, hoping that I would catch lots of adults and maybe some families to pass brochures out to. On my way downtown I started to become a little more nervous. I thought to myself, "this is socially positive, I am trying to encourage people to educate their children on gun safety. The number of accidental deaths involving firearms can be decreased. If I encourage someone to give their children the tools to prevent even one accidental death from a firearm, I have done more than a great job."

All was going well while I started to pass out the flyers. Many people were pretty uninterested figuring that I was passing out something they were not interested in. I can see where they were coming from however, every time someone tries to pass out something my way or solicit me for something on the street, I'm annoyed by it and almost immediately preemptively ignore it. It was a little frustrating at first to be ignored by so many people. I accepted that maybe people were not interested in teaching their children gun safety.

After an hour or so of passing out flyers a gentleman in an NRA hat came my way and struck up a conversation. He commented that it was very respectable that someone was so passionate about the promotion of gun safety and education to children. He said that growing up he did not learn much about gun safety but wishes that he had. As a life long gun owner and father he told me that he taught his children gun safety from a young age and knows that they will pass it on to their children for generations to come. He told me to keep up the good work, to continue fighting for second amendment rights, and to never give up. It was genuine advice from a like-minded stranger who knew my heart and efforts were in the right place.

I felt pretty empowered after our short conversation. It was great to know that other people are not only firearm safety advocates but also not ashamed or embarrassed to admit it. I truly hoped that I reached some people with my flyers. I also hope that even one person that I passed a flyer to is ready to teach their family about gun safety.

I know that it can take a long time to raise public awareness about any issue, but I was getting pretty cold and it was starting to get dark. I looked at my phone and noticed that three hours had gone by. It certainly did not feel like it, I had hardly noticed a second pass. Maybe through performing a radical act I had slowed down my perception of time. I know that through dedicating some time to something I feel is important and socially positive was enlightening. It sure did give me a sense of accomplishment and hope that maybe my flyers will one day inadvertently save a life.
In my opinion I feel that gun safety should be taught to all people, especially to families and homes where there are firearms on the property.

Through proper education, starting with gun safety classes for children and young adults, firearm accidents up to and including deaths can be prevented and may disappear all together with time.

If I encourage someone to give their children the tools to prevent even one accidental death from a firearm, I have done more than a great job.---This is great!

I could see where they were coming from however, as every time someone tries to pass out something my way or solicit me for something on the street, I'm annoyed by it and almost immediately preemptively ignore it.

I truly hopethat I reached some people with my fliers .

It certainly did not feel like it, as I had hardly noticed a second pass.

It sure did give me a sense of accomplishment and hope that maybe my fliers will one day inadvertently save a life.

This is great, also a good subject and project! Good luck with school!

:)

Home / Writing Feedback / Promoting Firearm Safety in Children, A personal essay about a "Radical Act"