Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Proofread Essay on Innocent Erendira and Her Heartless Grandmother

Al44ex 2 / -  
Hi, this is somewhat raw and i want to rework it, but it is due in 18 hours and im really trying to cram in all the work i can do. Please proofread this and let me know if it flows and there arent any major problems with it.

Thanks A lot

Love: a word that symbolizes the actions and emotions of humans in harmony. Yet there are many variations of love in real life, millions of people encountered love in various ways, yet between all of these true love stories there are stories of false love that can lead men and women to the destruction of the life they yearned for. In "Innocent Erendira and Other Stories" Gabriel Garcia Marquez writes of a young girl in a horrifying situation who meets a man, their acquaintance turns to desire, desire turns to love, and their love comes crashing down to the depths of puzzling misery. Basically, what Gabriel Garcia Marquez is trying to show the readers is that in a situation in the real world where two strangers meet and fall in love brought on by manipulations, there is no hope for their relationship to fully develop into a true compassionate love connection because of its manipulating roots. This is portrayed in "Innocent Erendira" through Erendira and Ulises' relationship and the rocky road it takes to destruction.

It begins with Erendira, a young South American prostitute who meets a farm boy named Ulises.

"Who are you?"

Ulises showed himself down to his shoulders. "My name is Ulises," he said. He showed her the bills he had stolen and added:

"I've got money." (Gabriel, 18)

And so it began, Erendira's first encounter with the smuggling farm boy, though tired from a long day of prostitution, she saw his money and his face and realized being with a handsome man and taking his money would be the best of both worlds for her. This night began the rough relationship that ends with death and confusion. As their feelings grow stronger for one another Gabriel shows us that this acquaintance is slowly turning into a yearning for one another. At this point Ulises and Erendira like being with each other, yet she is still scoring profit out of every night they are with one another. This may show that the desire for Ulises that is slowly growing inside of Erendira is most definitely fueled by the financial comfort that Ulises provides for her. Is she truly in love with Ulises or is she in love with Ulises' deeds?

Now, Gabriel shows that there is something else in this relationship other than money. Ulises and Erendira continue on their nightly meetings, each night Ulises pays less and less; Erendira's love for him begins to overtake her need of his money. But once again, Erendira is a young girl and has never truly experienced love, is this true love that she is feeling or does she love the comfort that Ulises brings to her? Finally Erendira and Ulises reach a point that one could call love. Ulises and Erendira begin to need each other. Erendira first failed attempt at murdering her grandmother leaves her feeling weak and incapable, she feels that she needs Ulises in order to finish the job.

Then she went to bed like a person who had drowned, her arms on her breast, and her eyes open, and she called with all the strength of her inner voice:

"Ulises!"

Ulises woke up suddenly in the house on the orange plantation. (49)

It appears Erendira and Ulises have made a true connection with one another, yet Erendira more or less keeps this connection strong in order to use Ulises to break free from her grandmother. The love between them is a different type of love; this manipulative relationship has progressed into a dysfunctional usage of one another. Erendira uses Ulises as a strong manly force that has the power to stand up to her heartless grandmother, and Ulises is tied in by Erendira's sexual love for him and Ulises' feeling that she needs him. In fact she does need him, but not for the love that Ulises imagines, but for the murderous action that Erendira demands.

"For you I'd be capable of anything." (52). On this page we finally see the almost object that Erendira has made Ulises, he states he can do things he would never do for her, and she pushes him to work for her. He attempts to poison Erendira's grandmother with cake and fails. Erendira's response: "Erendira cut him with a knifing look. 'The whole trouble,' she said, 'is that you're no good at all for killing anybody." (54). At last, Erendira speaks the words that Gabriel Marquez tries to communicate through this story, she does not love Ulises, she loves what they dream he can do. As the story progresses you see the true aspects of Ulises and Erendira's relationship surface, by this point of the book their secret love affair is not the center of attention between the two anymore, but the extinction of Erendira's grandmother. This very well could have been Erendira's plan all along, yet Ulises opaque vision could not see into who she really was and what she was trying to do. In his eyes he was trying to free her so they could live happily ever after, her eyes, on the other hand, were set on one goal, to be free of this life she is currently living. Through numerous trials, she finally achieves just that. She pushes Ulises to poison, booby trap, and eventually stab her grandmother in the heart. At that exact moment Ulises is tainted forever with the act of murder, and just as he looks up from the bloody mess of it all, he sees the girl he thought was in love with him simply run away into the desert. He attempts to run after her but to no avail, the manipulating relationship had come to its dirty end, leaving all members feeling empty and alone inside, and teaching all the readers of this veiled demise.

In the end, Gabriel Garcia Marquez shows the true side of false relations and the rippling effects it has on those included.

Home / Writing Feedback / Proofread Essay on Innocent Erendira and Her Heartless Grandmother