Task 1 about the proportion of consumer expenditures on different categories

Thangnguyen315 8 / 24  

how much people spent for different products

Topic: The table gives information about consumer spending on different items in five different countries in 2002

The table provides data about the proportion of consumer expenditure on different categories in five countries in the year 2002. Overall, it is evident that people from these countries spent the highest proportion of their budget on food, drink and tobacco. In contrast, leisure/education was the category that had the lowest figure in terms of consumer spending.

As can be seen from the table, around 32% of consumers' in Turkey spending went on food/Drinks/Tobacco, which was the highest among five countries in 2002. This number was slightly higher than the figure for Ireland with the proportion of nearly 29%. Additionally, people from Sweden spending on this category constituted about 16%, which was only about half the figure for Turkey. However, in terms of clothing/footwear, Italian consumers spent 9% of their total expenditure on this category, which was much higher than that of people from other countries. Their proportion spent on this was roughly similar, only ranging from 5.5% to 7%.

Looking at this table in more detail, Turkish consumers' spending on leisure/education made up around 4.5%, which was significantly higher than the figure of others from Sweden and Italy, at 3.22% and 3.20 %, respectively. People from Spain, however, spent the lowest percentage on this category, at just under 2%.

Hope you can give me some feedbacks !
Thank you very much!

vietcti 2 / 5  
spent the highest proportion ...
Dear Thang, i personally believe you can not use 'spend' to talk about the proportion.
'leisure/education was ... in terms of consumer spending'
well, i do think you should rewrite this sentence.
eg: People in those five countries spent the most of their budget on Food/Drinks/Tobacco
OP Thangnguyen315 8 / 24  
@vietcti
No, i think you are wrong. Of course we can use " spend the highest proportion of " :D

Thang

Home / Writing Feedback / Task 1 about the proportion of consumer expenditures on different categories