PTE Essay: should age discrimination be made illegal

foyuliu 5 / 20 9  
Should write 200-300 words on the prompt:
"Age discrimination occurs when a decision is made on the basis of a person's age. In the workplace, these are most often decisions about being employed in the first place, winning promotions or being unfairly dismissed. Should discrimination against older workers be made illegal. "

Please help review my essay below, thank you :)

too old for this job or not?

Today, there are more and more age discrimination in the workpace, older workers are treated unfairly in a various ways. There are arguments about whether it is legal to discriminate older workers. As far as I am concerned, the country should set up law to make discrimination against older workers illegal. This essay will discuss about more details.

It is usually true people may get sluggish when getting older. However, whether one is capable for a job depends more on his/her skill set, attitude and ability, rather than simply the one's age. For certain jobs, it is not required to be prompt physically, such as financial accounting and teacher.

More over, older workers make great contribution to their company and are more experienced in their area. Firing older workers just because they are old is not wise. Experience is priceless, it can help the company to work better and can help new comers to grow rapidly. Lastly, age discrimination will cause negative effect on young workers, since they can forecast their unfair treatment in the future, they will lose passion on their job and become less dedicated.

Taking considered measures, it is critial to establish laws to make age discrimination illegal in order to protect older workers, and promote competing fairly in workplace according to one's capability. By doing so it will help the older workers and encourage people to be more engaged in the work he/she is doing.
Ethan, your score for this essay will be a 0. You were asked to discuss if age discrimination should be illegal. Not whether a law should be passed to make it illegal. There is a big difference between the two topics and I am afraid you got it confused.When you are asked if the practice of age discrimination should be made illegal, you are being asked for an opinion pertaining to the creation of a law. That is different from asking you if a law regarding age discrimination should be passed. What you discussed were the reasons that a law should be passed against it. Not whether it should be made illegal or not. You basically discussed something related to the topic provided, but not the actual topic you were instructed to discuss. I know the topic instructions may have confused you for some reason. You have to know that these confusing questions are common place when testing the English comprehension skills of an individual. It shows that you can analyze the requirements of a discussion presented to you and that you can accomplish the discussion accurately based upon a proper understanding of the discussion. .
OP foyuliu 5 / 20 9  
Indeed, I was far away from the topic being asked, such a super mistake. Thank you Mary!

Home / Writing Feedback / PTE Essay: should age discrimination be made illegal