IELTS WRITING TASK 2: RADIO HAS TREMENDOUS EFFECT IN SHAPING PEOPLE'S IDEAS

chinhsy2 4 / 5  
Each form of mass media has great influence in shaping people's ideas.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

In every era, mass media plays a critical role in our lives by providing us with the latest information and news. Radio, being classified into one of the media, has existed for several decades, providing people with valuable knowledge. However, there is a considerable group of people who question the accuracy and authenticity of reports from radios while others are still inclined to the efficiency of them.

On the one hand, the advantages of radios for education, entertainment and awareness is evident. It provides many means of communication for people from different cultures, religions, races and regions. As a consequence, the barriers between people of such diversities are narrowed. However, inadvertently, we are prone to grow subservient on these transistor radios that fact-checking appears unnecessary.

On the other hand, this inclination has detrimental outcomes, as we gradually let our judgment be clouded by that of the media's. Mass media in general and radios in particular, tend to report wars with a biased verdict, which is the good and bad side being determined for the people by reporters, editors and commentators. For instance, during World War Two, General Philippe Pétain, who served for the Vichy government, spread false propaganda through radios to citizens of the Occupied Zone, stating that France is coming to victory. While the truth, which was that the Occupied Zone was being devastated by the enemies, was carefully veiled. Therefore, we need to make sure they work for the truth and greater good, not for a particular organization or political agenda.

In conclusion, any form of media is a strong tool to shape public opinion. Thus, it is paramount to maintain the balance between the freedom of media and the broadcasting of equitable news.
Your essay is going to get a failing score because you failed to show that you understood the discussion instruction, provide a proper response to the discussion requirement, and format the essay based upon the implied discussion format. The error in your essay started at the very beginning. In the prompt paraphrase. Let me highlight the errors for you:

OT: Each form of mass media has great influence in shaping people's ideas.
DI: To what extent do you agree or disagree?

YT: ... there is a considerable group of people who question the accuracy and authenticity of reports from radios while others are still inclined to the efficiency of them.

DR: None provided

You totally changed the discussion topic and the discussion instruction. That is never a good thing to do. It shows a lack of English comprehension skills. The proper discussion presentation for this essay could have been:

The citizens of the world have several guiding considerations when it comes to creating their mindset for certain discussion types. These dominant influences mostly come in the form of electronic and broadcast media. I would have to say that I am inclined to heavily support / not support this suggestion based on 2 reasons.

I wholly support / do not support this point of view because of my personal experience regarding the matter. When I was...

Additionally, I throw my strong support towards this idea / I do not strongly support this idea is because ...

I believe that these are the factors that allow media types to heavily influence the mindset of people. First... Second... Hence, I conclude this essay by repeating my total dis/agreement with the discussion topic.

What I showed you is only one of several approaches to this discussion format. Remember, you are being asked to throw your agreement or disagreement with the discussion topic based on a weighted response. Note the weight of my support for each discussion topic in the reasoning paragraphs. You need to show a firm support or non support for the discussion topic by using weighted topic references as I did.

This is never a comparative discussion. You must prove to the examiner that you actually have a solid point of view that you can support in your presentation. You will score highly when you are capable of showing a decision making process in your response and the ability to properly defend your opinion. Remember, you are scored properly once you present an opinion. If you do not present a solid opinion, as you did in your presentation, you will not get a passing TA score and you will tend to fail the whole test in the process.

Read the prompt. Understand the topic. Most of all, consider what the real discussion instruction is and respond to it as required. That is how you will pass this test. Never create your own discussion topic and discussion format / instruction as you did above. That is a definite way to fail this test.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2: RADIO HAS TREMENDOUS EFFECT IN SHAPING PEOPLE'S IDEAS