Unanswered [6] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Writing Feedback Posts: 4

Rates of recidivism are still high - reasons of this phenomenon and possible solutions

crystlho 4 / 12 2  

IELTS writing task 2 - Criminals would commit crimes again when set free

Question:
Research suggest that the majority of criminals who are sent to prison would commit crimes when set free.
What are the reasons? What can be done to solve the problem?

Essay:
It is true that a large number of ex-offenders who have been set free are likely to offend again. This essay will explore two of the main reasons that lead to their recidivism and propose measures that may address them.

One of the main reasons is that most of ex-convicts usually face difficulties re-entrying into the society because of their losing all their social connections after incarceration. For instance, their former co-workers often feel unwilling to socialize with ex-prisoners, thus making them feel marginalized. Furthermore, stigmatization by their neighbors also limits their ability to lead a normal life. As a result, they usually make friends with ex-inmates who always welcome them to the world of crimes. To tackle this problem, local government and social community service bodies should create a network of supporters who can help these ex-offenders to build up their healthy social connections.

Another reason is that they cannot find good jobs. To successfully integrate back into society, these people need to be financially independent. However, their chance of applying for a good job is nearly impossible because ex-employers usually do not want to re-employ them and new employers tend to ignore their conspicuous resumes. This is likely to increase the rate of recidivism since they fail to earn a livelihood to support their own living cost. If the government had policies to train them some work skills when they were in prisons, they would have better chances to find good jobs after being released.

In conclusion, although rehabilitation programs in prisons try to improve offenders' behaviors but if the government do not have post-release programs to help ex-offenders to re-entry into the society, the rate of re-conviction may be high since they are isolated by society and unable to apply for decent jobs.

Ekaputri17 6 / 13 6  
Hy @crystlho

In my opinion, your solutions do not tackle the causes of the problems which you are captured. In paragraph 2, the problem lies in an unwilling society to socialize with the ex-criminals and this should be tackled from acceptable of people. also, in the last body, you should provide solutions that ex-offenders can be hired by the companies. How to make this happen.If you mention training skills as if you describe that the ex-criminals do not have skills enough. The problem is about their status not from their capability
OP crystlho 4 / 12 2  
Thank you very much Ekaputri. Your comments are so useful.
OP crystlho 4 / 12 2  
@Holt and @Ekaputri17
This is my essay after I corrected it based on Ekaputri17's comments. Hopefully it will be commented by Holt. Many thanks.

One main reason for recidivism is that most ex-convicts face difficulties integrating back into the society because they mostly lost all their social connections after incarceration. For example, their former co-workers and neighbors often feel unwilling to socialize with them. Such stigmatization usually undermines their willingness to return to a normal honest life. Most of the time they seek supports and make friends with ex-inmates who always want welcome them to the world of crimes again. To tackle this problem, local government and social work bodies should form a network of supporters who will help ex-offenders to build up their healthy social connections and gradually help them to get accepted by people in society.

Another bigger reason for high rate of recidivism is that they fail to financially support themselves independently. Most ex-convicts are unable to find a good job. For instance, not only ex-employers usually refuse to re-employ a person who was once a drug addict, but also new employers ignore their conspicuous resumes. This is likely to push them into doing illegal jobs again to earn a livelihood. Therefore, the government should have policies to encourage ex-employers to provide them jobs or support them to find decent jobs.

In conclusion, although rehabilitation programs in prisons try to improve offenders' behavior but if governments do not have post-release programs which help ex-offenders to be accepted by society and settle down, the high rate of re-conviction may be the facts life. Therefore, re-entry-to-society policies are also as important as rehabilitation ones for any wrong doer.

Home / Writing Feedback / Rates of recidivism are still high - reasons of this phenomenon and possible solutions