Read for pleasure can help develop better imagination and language skills than watching TV

MinhMinh2525 1 / -  
Along with the development of the modern society, once different types of entertainment become prevalent, people are likely to evaluate the value and benefits each one offers. Reading for pleasure and watching TV are the 2 most typical instances of entertainment of which value comparisons still remain controversial. Some people argue that watching TV plays little role in human's imagination and language development in comparison to reading. From my own perspective, I believe each type of entertainment offers human different benefits, but with regard to imagination and language skills improvement, reading does much better than watching TV.

Opponents to reading may state that it normally takes more time to finish a book than a novel-based movie with the same amount of content. It may be true to some extent that using images, motions and sound effects will better assist your understanding; however, it will not potentially convey as much information as a book will. Moreover, human imagination needs a proper process to fully develop, whilst watching TV is merely of any help to it since it quickly provides specific images and context for the audience. That may result in passive development of imagination.

Another advantage that reading books brings to audience is that it helps in sharpening the intellectuality. Satisfying the queries of mind, reading enhances human intellectuality and enlarges the space of creativity. A scientific research conducted by a neuroscientist indicated that among all the participants, those who spent more time reading could process visual information more accurately. In other word, reading is a form of visual exercise, which will be helpful to human imagination as well as creativity.

Last but not least, reading is also applied as a method of studying languages. Some people may argue that TV is a better source of learning languages, which may be true to only some extent, especially regarding listening skills. Normally, the languages used on TV are in a casual and conversational tone. Books, on the other hand, will assist in providing a wide range of vocabulary and developing one's writing skill. Besides, reading books will obviously increase reading comprehension.

From what have been discussed above, it can be seen that, with regard to the development of human imagination and language skills, reading for pleasure plays a more important role than watching TV does. Reading, which is a great exercise helping people process information verbally and visually, has impacts on every aspect of life.
Had you included the prompt, it would have been easier for us to align our comments with what it requires. Please do it next time when you open a new thread. Also, are you preparing for IELTS or TOEFL?

From my own perspective, I believe each type of entertainment offers human different benefits, but with regard to imagination and language skills improvement, reading does much better than watching TV.

I perceive that both types of entertainment offer different benefits to people. However, reading contributes much more than watching TV in respect of imagination and improving language skills.

It may be true to some extent that using images, motions and sound effects will better assist your understanding;

It is true to a great extent because movies being an audio visual media, they are much more effective in conveying messages to people in contrast to reading a book.
First, you should post this type of essays into Writing Feedback forum.

Yes.... It is easy for us to provide you with more meaningful and task related comments if know the purpose (IETLS, TOEFL, GRE etc.). Please include the purpose in your essay title itself.

In other words , reading is a form of visual exercise, which will be helpful to human imagination as well as creativity.

.... Well ....you need to give more clarification on this to the reader... what do you mean by visual exercise and how it can improve imaginations? You need to support this claim with some specific examples. Otherwise it is not a convincing statement.

Home / Writing Feedback / Read for pleasure can help develop better imagination and language skills than watching TV