To get them ready for the adult life, should teenage children be encouraged to take a part-time job?

rongmui 4 / 9 1  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? One of the best ways that parents can help their teenage children prepare for adult life is to encourage them to take a part-time job.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Learning to prepare for adult life requires harmonious efforts. For some parents, they believe that it is taking a part-time job which grounds the best preparation. While this is true to some extent, other parents argue that more focus should be paid on learning instead. While both views have advantages and disadvantages, to choose what view to hold requires careful speculation.

On one hand, part-time working takes lots of time and effort and in turn yields so many lessons to learn. Teenagers can save their out-of-school time for money-yielding work so that they can learn more about value of hard work and how to manage their financial budget. Taking my cousin, a senior student, as an example, she started to save up earnings from her part-time work at a local restaurant so as to have her own budget for personal demands such as clothes, books and bus fares. Having her own money also means she can share financial burden with her parents. In addition, she consumed less time on partying and extravagant purposes and instead exerted herself to serve customers charmingly. Her hard work at the restaurant has also helped her feel more empathy toward her parents' sacrifice and thus, appreciate the money in her pocket and know how to spend it wisely.

On the other hand, exposing children to work at an early age might result specific drawback. Making money at a very young age is so seductive that it can keep them away from school and friends. Since they are young and generally immature, they are prone to disillusion of money power; the more money they make, the more things they can buy and thus, the more work replacing communication with friends and intellectual practice that are critical for their development.

For all the above reasons, parents should pay much consideration toward their children part-time job. Since social interaction and studying is essential to teenagers' development, parents should be mindful to decide to what extent their children are allowed to work. Parents should also warn those immature kids of the harmful effects of overexposing to money-making and teach them how to balance their demands and income supply.

To sum up, part-time working has undisputed advantages for teenage children's development. However, since they are generally young and ill-equipped, they are inclined to drench in money makings supplying for their needs, causing negative consequences. As a result, parents should encourage their children to take a part-time job with careful guidance so as to balance its negative effects on their children.
Moodykhedr 2 / 6 2  
they are inclined to drench in money makings supplying for their needs, causing negative consequences. As a result, parents should encourage their children to take a part-time job with careful guidance so as to balance its negative effects on their children.

PhuongVo,

I like your essay very much! It was concise, straight to the point, and well laid out.

I loved the fact that you showed that you a perspective in both sides of the argument!

However, I feel like you were in the middle of the two most of your argument, not fully leaning towards one position. But then again, using your relative as an example shows us that you are proving having a part-time job is beneficial.

I actually find it perfect. Maybe you should try to lean a little bit more towards the side you agree with (having a part time job).
OP rongmui 4 / 9 1  
Thanks for your compliment Mahmoud.
Actually I agree with the topic statement that parents should encourage their kids to have a part-time job, but also think they should pay much attention to educate their children how to deal with what they get.

Home / Writing Feedback / To get them ready for the adult life, should teenage children be encouraged to take a part-time job?