Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

"realistic or optimistic" + "hardship and misfortune" -- essays edit help

helenalqy 9 / 6  
Assignment: Do people truly benefit from hardship and misfortune?

As an old saying in my hometown goes,"Adversities are best teachers." Therefore, people can benefit from hardships and learn to be strong and optimistic.

A newly showed movie, Kit Kittredge: An American Girl, can serve as an example. Kit, a nine-year-old girl, hopes to become a journalist, lives a happy and enjoyable life whose father owns a car dealership. Unfortunately, the Great Depression comes and her father loses his dealership and decides to seek a job in Chicago. Dreaming to become a journalist someday, Kit takes notes about news around her and writes articles about life of unemployed people. She learns to accept the fact that they are poor now and moves to the attic in order to make more rooms for their boarders to make money. She helps her mother sell eggs, wears dresses that are made of chicken feed-sack, saves food and money and also worries about their mortgage. She also cries because the hard life and complains about her father's absence, but gradually learns not to complain about life and observes everything and everybody around her and writes articles optimistically almost everyday. She is not the little princess in her family any more but a hostess who tries hard to protect her house by finding out the thief who steels the money which will be paid for mortgage. Finally, she gets her money back, protects her house and helps the police end an interlocked crime.

Kit grows up after experiencing all these things and also, benefits a lot from them. She gets many hobo friends because she helps clear up a hobo's accusation of steeling, makes her articles named"A girl's perceptive about the Great Depression" printed on the Cincinnati Register and also becomes more mature than before. Just as Kit's father says, "Don't let it beats you!" Kit gradually learns that the Great Depression brings them hardships that make them struggle for life. While at the same time, their struggle makes them much stronger mentally and helps them to appreciate life.

Although it may be hard living through adversities, hardships can surely shape people's personalities and help them be strong and thankful to simple happiness.

Home / Writing Feedback / "realistic or optimistic" + "hardship and misfortune" -- essays edit help