rejected for Early Action - SHORT AND QUICK EMAIL

alexakrivoniak 2 / 4  
I was rejected for Early Action to my number one choice and am really nervous about my future! Please look over this short email just to make sure it sounds alright. Please, please don't be afraid of insulting me, I need all the help and suggestions I can get! Thank you!!

Dear -------------,

Hi! My name is --------, and I am a senior at --------- High School. I applied to James Madison in late October. I know that you are extremely busy reviewing applications, but I really felt the need to email you after receiving the rejection letter for Early Action.

I have spent the last few months recovering from a spine surgery, so I have been out of school for most of the year. I know you received my attendance records along with my grades. I just wanted to explain why my work is incomplete and why I have been absent so many times. This year has been rough for me, especially with college applications.

James Madison University is my number one choice. The campus is stunning, and I have only heard great things from current students. I was wondering if there was any other information you needed from me to help my chances for acceptance. For example, I could send an essay or some of my media art samples. When I am fully recovered, I would love to come down and have a personal interview, if you feel on the fence about my application.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email and, if you have the time, please give me a call on my home phone, -------- or email me back if you have any questions or suggestions. This is really important to me, because I hope to make James Madison my future.

Thank you!
------------------
Anything I should add or remove?
Chillkindacat 1 / 8  
It is nice but I don't know if the James Madison rep. would care if you had surgery or not. Maybe I am from a tough state? But here they don't seem to care what the issue was. Have you tried talking with your old school to see if you can get back in some how and bring your GPA up again?
OP alexakrivoniak 2 / 4  
I'm only adding the bit about my surgery to explain my absences, not because I'm making excuses. It's been physically impossible for me to go to school. And I am still in high school, so I have no "old school".
blue50 1 / 1  
Hi,
You was not rejected! You were overlooked. You do not need to be insulted to learn something. I suggest you write down all that is good about you, that should take you at least a week, then write your negative points that should be blank. Use your positive attributes to convince James Madison, that you will be an asset to them. Some examples despite a spine injury I am on top of my studies. When do you invite students to open days, so that they can assess your reputation, for myself. Once you start to believe in your self, others will too. By the way never restrict your self to one choice, it is limiting. Is James Madison that good, when they don't invite you for an interview?
Chillkindacat 1 / 8  
Ok I guess I didn't know you were in high school. Maybe as the previous said, bring a new transcript and have them view that along with your application and your letter. But I agree you need to keep your options open if possible. I'm not sure I would email either unless that is their policy. Most reps would rather see you face to face and hear your story vs. read it.

Also, I hope Christopher wasn't stating that I was being insulting because that was not my intention. I have had my own issues with bad health when I was 20 and college myself so I just wanted to make sure you are aware. But I am sorry if it came off that way.
OP alexakrivoniak 2 / 4  
Chillkindacat, it's fine. I'm definitely not offended :) I was just trying to explain myself. I appreciate your feedback. I can't travel yet because of my surgery, so I was going to send this email. Do you think it'd be better if I called her instead?
Chillkindacat 1 / 8  
I think I would call and see what the schools admin would like the best. We have some schools here where I live that won't look at a paper application unless the person is sitting before them. Others prefer the paper/email apps so they don't have to "waste" time if necessary. -Sorry for the delayed reply! Hope it's not to late!
Emails are too easy to ignore. I think this deserves a hard copy.

The campus is stunning, and The ______ program is an important part of my action plan for the upcoming years, and in addition to my enthusiasm about the ________ department I am also excited about the great reviews current students have given of their experiences.

If you had surgery and missed school, they should be compassionate about this. If they are not, take your money elsewhere. Follow the signs as you wade into the future. Maybe you have to do a year at a different school and then transfer, or maybe you should go to a different school! it will be okay

:-)
wongtongsoup22 3 / 4  
I'm sorry that you didn't get accepted. Maybe you should try setting up an appointment with the undergraduate admissions department and try to talk to them. It's always worth giving a shot; it'll give you a chance to show your determination and your passion for trying to get into t his school. If they can see what you really want, I don't think they'll say no.

Home / Writing Feedback / rejected for Early Action - SHORT AND QUICK EMAIL