Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Reliance on Technology has deteriorated our ability to think

sandy87 1 / -  
Man has been continuously inventing ever since he was a nomad. His desire to settle necessitated him to think and invent new. The saying 'Necessity is the mother of all inventions' is apt in this context. The discovery of fire made him more dependent on it. His necessity of fire made him invent the ways to make a fire. For making hunting easier, he invented tools made out of stone. To give more strength to these tools , he discovered metals. Thus man's journey through time to his current state wouldn't have been possible without his ability to think . At the same time his existence wouldn't have been possible without the apt use of technology which he has been inventing whenever he needed it. Saying reliance on technology has deteriorated man's ability to think wouldn't be apt.

With the advent of new technologies came newer problems. These newer problems had to be confronted in newer ways. The necessity of solution to newer problems required him to be more creative than before. With the resources on the planet diminishing at a faster rate, man now needs to efficiently utilize the resources. This created a new area of study called optimization. Newer inventions are more complex systems than ever before. For optimizing complex systems , man needed to come up with newer ways to solve mathematical equations which multiplied in complexity. For this purpose and to come to the solution quickly man needed to use computers. Had he not invented computer, he would have taken decades to solve the new problem. For solving the problem on the computer, he needed to think differently. His thinking had to be more creative and he was making computer solve the problem whose logic he himself had implanted. Thus we see that, even though he does not himself solve the problem, he is essentially using computer to do repetitive calculations for which he has no time. His creativity has not decreased, but has increased. He is developing newer algorithms to optimize the already existing system. We see that there is a continuous strive to improve the already existing system.

With the coming of the cars and other motor vehicles, man is able to move large distances withing short period of time. He thus saves time thinking about unnecessary things and can concentrate on the his work. Now he faces the problem of polluting his environment. He has burdened himself with a newer problem which he has to solve. Thus with continuing inventions come newer problems and thus improvement in technology hasn't made him lazy to think. He is continuously trying to improve upon the things.

In spite of all this,in one way reliance on technology has had a bad effect on the younger generations. School going children , who are increasing using computers for their assignments are definitively deteriorating their ability to think. They are inundated with readily available solutions to their assignments. They have stopped thinking in a creative way and the solution to their assignments turn out to be a copy of something someone has done in some other part of the world. With the computers and internet becoming a necessity of everyone's life, making our kids think has become even more harder. This is something which needs to be addressed.

Home / Writing Feedback / Reliance on Technology has deteriorated our ability to think