Religion Studies 100 - Buddhism and Hinduism; 'concepts of rebirth'

ruthpreciouslam 1 / -  
hello people, please i need help on my essay...can anyone help me? i am supposed to write a paper in Chicago style, " Comparing and contrasting the concepts of rebirth in early Hinduism and Buddhism. How are they similar and how are they different? what does this say about cosmology and the human condition in each tradition"? i really do not know how to start this...any suggestions please? will really be happy....thanks a lot....

this is how i started it... its like my intro to my paper...am i on the right track? or do i need to add more?

" In this paper, i will compare and contrast the concepts of rebirth in the early Hinduism and Buddhism. by doing this, i will show and give examples of how they are similar, how they are different, by following this concept, it will tell us about the cosmology and the human condition in both tradition".
Hi,

Well... first of all you need to understand the conceptual difference between re-birth and re-incarnation when you discuss topic. In Hinduism it is not actually re-birth, but re-incarnation; The buddhists believe in re-birth while the Hindus believe in re-incarnation.

Google on these two words and you would find loads of material for info.
As a Buddhist my self, I believe in re-birth which means that we believe that we will be born again until we cease all our cravings and attain Nibbana. Although, like Hindus, we believe in Sansara (chain of births), we interpret our re-birth in a different manner. We believe it is only the mind stream that travels from one birth to the other, and nothing else is carried forward. In other words, it means that I would not be the same person in my next birth both physically and mentally. So the buddists reject the concept that we have a permanat eternal self. However, we believe in human conciousness.

However, in Hinduism, they believe in athma (permanant eternal self) that travels from one birth to the other (sansara). According to Hindus, it is the same person with same characteristics although he would have a different appearance in different births (one permanant atham) . It's like pouring the same water into a new vessle.

So.... this is an interesting topic that you would be able to come out with a great essay.... Only thing, do a bit of research : )
ten 1 / 1  
hi you have a very nice essay and its very interesting topic as for me. i m also Buddhist and glad to meet u.
Here think , actually its very hard to understant but nice reflection. As we believes that if u do some bad on other people then its reflection to u for any time. and if u do good some other people then u have good day for any time. that call equall reaction. so we must me nice person in this life and be helpful person. i m sure your next life will be wounderful life. its depen on your previous life.

thank you
your ten.
iamtrying 3 / 8  
Buddhism and Hinduism is an interesting topic. Do include your topic so that we can review your essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Religion Studies 100 - Buddhism and Hinduism; 'concepts of rebirth'