Replacing a Kitchen Faucet - Process Essay

scash 2 / 2  
This is my process essay on replacing a kitchen faucet. I would like for it to be critiqued. This is my second draft and I was wanting some suggestions on what I can do to improve it. Thanks in advance.

It has been said that replacing a kitchen faucet can be almost impossible since the only access is from under the sink and many individuals lack the plumbing experience. You will be required to lie on your back and will work around the hot and cold water supply lines to get to the mounting nuts that secure the kitchen faucet to the sink. Let it be advised, however, that with the proper tools and directions, replacing a kitchen faucet is possible. Reserve two complete hours to perform this job. Do not begin your task until you can dedicate the required time.

First, clear your working area. Make space under your cabinet to access the bottom of the faucet and the water supply lines. You will need to lay out your tools at this point. An adjustable wrench and a basin wrench are suggested. A pair of pliers and your hands can also be used if that is the only tools you have. You will need a flashlight. You will need paper towels or a bath towel.

Picking the proper faucet is the next step in do-it-yourself kitchen faucet replacement. If you have little or no experience in replacing kitchen faucets, and are unsure of faucet design and dimensions, you should then remove your old faucet and take it with you to the hardware store to purchase the correct one. Take notice do-it-yourself plumber, unless you purchase the correct kitchen faucet, the job can not be completed.

To remove your old faucet, first shut off the water supply lines to the faucet under your sink, in your cabinet. If you do not have shut off valves on your supply lines, then you will need to access your main water supply line into your home and close it. Do not remove any water lines from your kitchen faucet until you do this. If you miss this step, you're going to get wet. After closing the water supply , open your faucet and allow the excess water and pressure to release. Next, disconnect the water supply lines. Do not bend or damage the water supply lines. You should also mark the hot water line with a red mark or piece of red tape to prevent confusion when reconnecting the supply lines to the faucet. Finally, to complete the removal of the old faucet, loosen and remove the faucet mounting nuts.

Once the faucet has been removed, a buildup may be present on the sink in the area where the faucet plate was attached. Clean it off to make ready for the new faucet. An SOS pad or dish detergent on a sponge should clean the area sufficiently.

Take the old faucet with you and go to the hardware store to purchase a new one. After returning home, you should remove your new kitchen faucet from its packaging.

Next, place the new faucet, in the old faucet openings. Be sure and install the rubber or plastic gasket that comes with the faucet between the faucet and sink. Install the washers and mounting nuts, tightening the nuts by hand. Do not tighten the faucet to the sink completely at this point. Align the faucet with the back of the sink and now tighten the mounting nuts securely with your hands or wrench or pliers. If your faucet came with a sink sprayer, you will now attach it to the faucet. Insert the sprayer into the hole and then tighten the mounting nut to secure it. Then screw the sprayer supply hose on to the bottom of the faucet.

You can now reconnect the hot and cold water supply lines. Be sure to remember that the hot will be the left supply side of your faucet and cold is on the right. Do not cross the supply lines. Now you can reopen the water supply lines to your faucet. Remember that you turned off your water supply when you began the removal of the old faucet.

Now, that the water supply is back on, turn on the faucet and test it out. Make sure the hot water is turned on by the left handle and cold water by the right handle. Also, you will need to once more look under the sink in the cabinet to make sure that none of your faucet connections are leaking.

Enjoy your new faucet.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

What an excellent process essay! You've done a great job and I have only a few editing tips.

A pair of pliers and your hands can also be used if those are the only tools you have.

Take notice, [add comma] do-it-yourself plumber, unless you purchase the correct kitchen faucet, the job can not be completed.

Next, place the new faucet [delete comma] in the old faucet openings.

Now [delete comma] that the water supply is back on,

Best of luck in your studies!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP scash 2 / 2  
Thank you.

I am taking an Expository Writing class and it has been difficult. This is the third week of a total of ten weeks of class. I am 35 and it has been many years since I was in school. I am happy to have found this forum because I will need advice over the next seven weeks.

Have a great day.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
We'll be happy to provide it! Never underestimate how well "years of experience" can make up for "years since in school"!

Best of luck in your studies!

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Replacing a Kitchen Faucet - Process Essay