Research assignment awareness campaign

Maryam81 1 / 1  
Hi,
I am a grade 9 student.We have to write the speech about global awareness campaign. I need to spread awareness about Illiteracy of children in SubSaharan Africa and convince UN to allocate 5 million dollars towards my cause. I need Concluding sentence for that speech too.

Are you aware that more than 72 millions children don't have proper primary education in Sub-Saharan Africa? Basically these 72 million children are considered illiterate: the inability to read or write. In Sub-Saharan Africa, more than 50% of children only receive education for 4 years or less. It is heart broken that girls are less likely to go to schools and boys are more likely to repeat their grades. We cannot compare ourselves to them. We're not living in the 3rd world country. We are blessed with an amazing school system. But they have a lack of good schools that has a negative effect on children. These greatly impede the social and economical development of Africa in general. The literacy rate is Africa is getting better but we are not there yet. In 1990, the literacy rate was 45% but now it is 63%. This improvement is because of different projects that have helped little kids go to schools and develop awareness for literacy. With all these facts, how we can enhance the literacy rate. Our Smart kids organization will help kids in Africa get what is rightfully theirs. Donation will be used to build more schools, libraries easily accessible school transportation, qualified teachers, separate schools for girls and providing base school materials. The most common questions we get are why does illiteracy happens? How to stop illiteracy? Finally why girls are less likely to go to schools? These frequently asked questions will be answered through out this speech.

The most common cause of child illiteracy in sub Saharan Africa is Child Labor. It is estimated that 150 millions children, ages of 5 to 14, are involved in child labor. All these children are suffering from child labor. They can't get proper education just to help and bring some money to their families. They have the duty at the age of 5 to be "the bank of the house". Children in Africa have high market value. Employers may actually prefer to hire children because they can be paid less, dispensed off easily and obedient workforce. Another reason would be their cultural and traditional values. Parents may share are cultural norm in which labor is seen as more valuable and productive. Here is a fact that will surprise you all; some classes hold as many as hundred pupils for one teacher. There are very few schools in Sub Saharan Africa that have less than hundred students in one class. You can see that only the one teacher is responsible for the safety and education of these children. It is not enough. The lack of teachers is also a huge problem. UN children funds said that the school attendance surged from 59% to 96% to the previous years. This huge surge of attendance was because of free schools that established there in previous years. Concilie Nizigyimana, a sate inspector for schools said" when schools become free, we received a huge numbers of children". Safety and transportation is also another factor. Most parents are scared to send their children to schools because Sub Saharan Africa has gone through a 13 years civil war. Transportation is easily accessible. Buses and roads are not fully made. All of this is effecting the youth in Sub-Saharan Africa.

After all the effort we put into increasing literacy, girls are still denied from education. This happens all because of cultural or traditional values, poor nutrition, burden of domestic work, early marriage, discrimination and violence in and around the school. If all girls had education in Sub-Saharan Africa, child marriage would fall by 64%. 53% out of school kids are girls and 2/3 of the people who are illiterate are women. Why does this matter? Because these women are tomorrows wives, mothers, caregivers, entrepreneurs and leaders. Women are the key to ending the cycle of poverty. Girls' education leads to higher income, delayed marriage and fewer children, healthier families, reduce HIV risks and less poverty.

The Smart Kids organization will use the 5 million towards building more schools, separate schools for girls, libraries, better use of technologies, easy accessible transportation, less child to teacher ratio, qualifies and trained teachers and providing school supplies. Smart Kids foundation will use the money to break the cycle of poverty through education and focus on rural areas of Sub-Saharan Africa. It will make new schools that will give many children a life changing education. It will support children to have a happy childhood by reducing child labor. It will open separate schools for girls to promote education fro girls.

Thanks for your help.
Mary
In order to properly conclude the essay at this point, you will need to do some research regarding the UN sponsored school programs such as the United Nations Foundation, specifically the Girl up campaign that is aimed towards raising awareness and funds for the girls who need an education in the parts of the world that are hard to reach such as the Sub Saharan African desert. You can also mention the UNHCR as one of the possible UN sponsor groups since it is also active in this and related fields. You can use the name of the organizations that I mentioned in doing a Google search. Review the mission and objectives of the organizations / groups and use that to develop your plea for financial aid by explaining how the aid will be used to help these children. Present some target projects to spend the money on and then conclude your essay by explaining how these will provide the strong educational foundation for the children in the future.
OP Maryam81 1 / 1  
Thank you so moocher your feedback. I'll correct and write it again and post it.
Maryam, it seems that you already have a lot of following here and a lot of options and suggestions to ensure that your essay is done properly.

Now, I'd like to add some inputs, if I may.
The purpose of your essay is very noble, to do a research with a purpose for greater welfare and raising awareness
to strengthen education in countries such as yours is a job that may mean a lot of work, sacrificed time and
a huge chunk of criticisms from people who just don't care and doesn't believe in change, but you do and I say KUDOS to you and to your team.

As you can see, forming grammatically correct sentences is one of your weakness but there is a room for improvement and there is always a way to

hone your skills, practice will make you good in anything you do.
I also suggest that you spend a little time, researching and reading research paper to have a good grip on how to approach formal writing pieces.

I hope to see more of your writing and continue with the good job!

Home / Writing Feedback / Research assignment awareness campaign