GRE: It is very responsible task to create school nationwide curriculum

xatutik 12 / 29 10  
A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they
enter college.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

It is very responsible task to create school nationwide curriculum. For every nation its school program illustrate what fields and courses that nation prizes and what they want their children to learn. Though I agree with one part of the statement that is there should be required courses which students will take in school, however I also admit a possibility that student should also be given opportunity to chose some classes based on their preferences and strengths. First of all I believe that there are courses that are very important and children should take them, however I also thinks that from the early age children should be given chance to choose courses which they like.

Almost in every nation there is set of courses that are required in schools and all students take these classes. These are mainly courses which help children to shape some knowledge base, which will be useful for them throughout whole their life, moreover it will help them to choose their further occupation. The examples of these courses can be mathematics, native language, history, etc. Mathematics not only helps students to learn some more or less deep methods of problem solving techniques, calculations, but also teaches student to critical thinking and logic, which is necessary for every one, no matter what occupation he/she has. Or taking native language, undoubtedly everyone should possess native language, should know write and speak correctly. I remember we had a language course at the university and when once we asked our professor why we need this course, it does not relate to our profession, she responded that we will need it every time when writing papers, theses, though these materials mostly contain professional information, all this information should be written in a correct and acceptable language.

Apart from these courses, which appear in almost every nation's school programs, each nation can add other required courses too. This mainly shows us which sphere is valued in that particular country. For example in my country the game of Chess is highly valued from earlier times and several years ago in Armenia Chess was added to the schools' required curriculum.

While it is necessary to have required courses for all students, it is also important to give each student opportunity to choose other courses based on his/her preferences. First of all this will help them to think over about what they like from the earlier ages. Furthermore by choosing individual courses they will reveal their strengths and afterwards it will be easier for them to choose further study field in universities and colleges. For example in my school we could choose second foreign language ourselves. Personally I chose English, but there were students who chose French, or German.

To sum up it is equally important to have required classes in schools and provide classes that students are free to choose. From the first type of courses students gain lifelong knowledge and from the selecting some courses they learn to think carefully and understand what preferences they have.
Xatutik, while you present an immediate and effective body paragraph to the prompt, you still need to establish your point of you and thesis statement in an introductory paragraph. Kindly create one before launching into the statement that you wrote below.

-While you present an agreeable statement, there is an important portion that is missing in your discussion. The part of educational competition among schools. Remember, the reason that schools have varying levels of curriculum at present is because the public schools run on a specific format, regulated by the government, while the private schools have their own non-government regulated curriculum to use. The reason being that the private schools believe that their curriculum is better and produces brighter and more capable students than public schools.

I noticed that you presented a discussion based upon the assumption that the students will have a uniform curriculum to choose from. That is not what the prompt is saying. The prompt is speaking of a uniform curriculum that the students will be required to study until they enter college. Therefore, you argument that it is alright to have a uniform curriculum as long as the student can choose the class he wants to enroll in is wrong. I suggest that you revise the essay to better reflect the requirements of the prompt. You also need to make your agreement or disagreement clearer by stating it in the opening paragraph as part of the thesis statement.

Home / Writing Feedback / GRE: It is very responsible task to create school nationwide curriculum