Who is responsible for taking care of the environment, governments or the citizens?

Krystal318 9 / 20 2  
Some people think that it is the responsibility of governments to take care of the environment, while others believe that it is the responsibility of the citizens. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

the responsibility of Earth protection

The environment is being damaged rapidly due to human activity. Discussions have been made to determine whether it is the responsibility of governments or the citizens to the protection of Earth. In my opinion, I strongly advocate the joint effort of both men of law and citizens in response to the destruction of our environment.

Those who are in favor of the responsibility of governments might be reasonable to some extent as governments can use their highest powers to impose strict laws in order to prevent harmful activities to the environment such as deforestation, logging, and burning toxic substances. They can also apply heavy fines to the opposers, and only governments can financially be able to build public transportation systems, natural gas power plants which can substantially lower carbon emissions.

On the other hand, citizens are the fundamental units of society. They account for major humans in every country, so their actions altogether can create huge effects. If all citizens in the world were awared of the danger situation our environment is in, and protected it with small but practical actions like using environmentally friendly products, disposing of garbage properly, using alternative energy instead of fossil fuel one, our environment would be in much better status.

To conclude, whether you are governments or citizens, protecting the Earth is our duty since it is our only home in this universe so far. It is a collective responsibility of humanity. Therefore, actions should be taken immediately instead of thinking about whose responsibility.
ayunovianti 5 / 8 3  
Hi Krystal, great essay overall.
I just want to comment on some grammar mistakes, that could reduce your IELTS Writing score if not taken care of.

- On the third paragraph, you wrote "If all citizens in the world were awared of..." it should have been "If all citizens in the world were made aware of..."

- On the last paragraph, you wrote "...instead of thinking about whose responsibility.", it is not a complete sub-sentence. In my opinion, it should have been "...intead of thinking of whose responsibility it is to protect the Earth"

Hope it helps and good luck

Home / Writing Feedback / Who is responsible for taking care of the environment, governments or the citizens?