Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Review of the film ''Mongol'' by Sergei Bodrov.

Amirr 1 / -  
Please check my essay. I don't know how many mistakes are there. Thank you!

Not until I watched the film named ''Mongol'' did I know about lots of nuances of some events in Kazakh history. Screen version of historical books with its special effects, soundtrack and naturalistic battle scenes helps the audience to feel themselves about the events which took place in ancient times in Kazakhstan. But what I find the most worthy is the historical accuracy.

The film quickly and gently explains the meaning of the events occurring on the screen. Embarking on an expedition as a young boy, Temujin is accompanied by his father Yesugei to select a girl as his future wife. Temujin meets and chooses Borte. He promises to return after five years to marry her. On their way home, Temujin's father is poisoned by an enemy tribe. As he lies dying, he tells his son that he is now Khan. However, one of his father's warriors, Targutai, orders the other tribesmen to loot the dead Khan's camp. Warrior spares Temujin's life, declaring a Mongol does not kill children. After falling through the ice of a frozen lake, Temujin is found lying down in the snow by a young boy called Jamukha, who after traditional ceremony becomes his blood brother. When Temujin have grown Targutai wished to kill him. Later their tribe are attacked by that of Merkit, who captures Borte. Temujin goes to his childhood friend Jamukha, who is now a Khan himself. Jamukha agrees to help him get his wife back and attack the Merkit tribe. After success two of Jamukha's soldiers choose to join Temujin because he distributes more plunder to his warriors. Temujin refuses Jamukha's request to send back his combatants and horses because he explains that Mongol warrior is free to choose his leader. The argue ends up as a war won by Jamukha who decides to make Temujin a slave rather than execute him. Subsequently, Temujin gathers an army to unify all of the Mongols and declares war over Jamukha. Having defeated his blood brother, Temujin allows Jamukha to live. Afterwards, Temujin becomes the Khan of all the Mongols - Genghis Khan of the Great Steppe.

Perhaps historians may lay claim to the yurts, weapons and costumes, but the movies can not restore the past with absolute precision.The film is suitable for anyone because on the one hand there are large-scale battle scenes, on the other hand a touching love story and certainly deserves to see it. I would highly recommend it to anyone invested in history.

Home / Writing Feedback / Review of the film ''Mongol'' by Sergei Bodrov.