Review my essay on working homelessness

colleengeraghty 1 / -  

The working and the unemployed homelessness

An estimated 10 percent of the 4,990 people living unsheltered in San Diego said they were currently working (NPR). These people are called the working homeless. The working homeless are indivuduals who hold a job and collect a paycheck but they live on the street or in shelters. Many times these individuals become homeless because of the rising cost of living in large cities. For example, "At $17 an hour, she (Nereida a single mother) earns more than minimum wage. But even if she did manage to find an apartment, the city's median rent for a two-bedroom - estimated at $1,752 by listings website Apartment List - would claim more than half of her income." (NPR). Neredia sleeps in her car most nights but every so often can afford a couple months rent here and there, for now her children stay with friends and relatives. Another example of the working homeless is Monica Diaz. Diaz lives in washington DC, she lives with her husband a short walk away from Union station where she has a job in a fast food restaurant. Her "home" is a tent that has a padlock on the outside so when she and her husband leave for the station they can secure their belongings. Both Diaz and Nereida worry about their hygiene before work. Nereida parks her car by the gym where she can shower and get ready for her shift at the optometrist and Diaz leaves for the station early and enters through the back to reach the bathrooms to freshen up before her shift. Both women are too scared to inform their employer of their situations in fear of losing their jobs. How do the effects of being a member of the working homeless differ from the effects of being homeless and how are they the same?

There are many physical effects that come with being homeless. According to SOURCE 8, homeless people are more susceptible to Traumatic disorders, Skin disorders, Vessel disorders, Respiratory illnesses, and chronic diseases. "Poor physical health is associated with poverty in general but seems to be more pronounced among those who are without homes (APA, 2010)." One example of homelessness affecting one's health "When homeless, she sleeps upright, and her legs swell so severely that tissue breakdown develops into open lacerations. She covers these with cloth and stockings-enough to absorb the drainage but also to cause her to be repugnant to others because of the smell and unsightly brown stains.". Doris Foy didn't have the money or resources to find a clinic who would treat her open lacerations so she just wrapped cloth around them to absorb the drainage. When health care workers finally found Foy and took her to a clinic there were maggots living in the lacerations. One key difference between those like Foy that are unemployed and homeless and Diaz and Nereida is their hygiene standards. Foy had no inclination to clean out her wounds and seek for help however is Diaz or Nereida showed up to work with repulsive bandages then they would be fired. The need to appear clean to maintain their jobs enables the working homeless to stay somewhat healthier than those that are unemployed and homeless. However, while they are more likely to maintain their hygiene they are still susceptible to other elements such as the weather and clean up crews.

Other than physical differences there are often differences on how the working homeless get back on their feet as opposed to those that are unemployed and homeless. For example, one family that is homeless a married couple and three children became in debt when the father suffered from kidney disease. "Patrick Kennard suffered kidney problems that led to expensive hospital stays and mounting medical bills. Even with the health insurance he had from work, the family still owed around $5,000. Their car broke down repeatedly, costing them more than $3,000. The couple's debt began to mount. Combining their student loan debt and medical bills, they found themselves more than $35,000 in debt." (NBC) The debt continued to snowball and unable to afford medical bills Kennard's wife quit her job in order to look after the children. Now with only one income of about 35,000 dollars a year they were unable to afford their already small 2 bedroom apartment and have been living in church shelters. This family's case is only one of many as 57.1 percent of U.S. personal bankruptcies that are caused by large medical bills According to SOURCE TEN. Luckily due to the fact the Kennard is still working they are able to have some money and buy necessary things for themselves. Additionally, while living in shelters and are not paying rent they can begin to save to afford housing.

Another difference between the working homeless and unemployed homeless people is their mental health. Those that are unemployed often suffer from severe mental health issues,"Certain illnesses and health problems are frequent antecedents of homelessness. The most common of these are the major mental illnesses, especially chronic schizophrenia.". (SOURCE 8). According to SOURCE 8, "As mentally ill people's disabilities worsen, their ability to cope with their surroundings-or the ability of those around them to cope with their behavior-becomes severely strained. In the absence of appropriate therapeutic interventions and supportive alternative housing arrangements, many wind up on the streets". Like SOURCE 8 said, many homeless people end up on the streets because those around them can't handle their behavior and they can't cope with their surroundings. This is much different than those that are working and homeless. maintaining a job while homeless is hard, many in this class leave early for work to freshen their appearance and regardless of what they might be troubled by they still are able to make it to their shift. Those that are employed and homeless are not as troubled by their mental disorders as those that are unemployed and homeless.

While there are some differences between the two classes there are many similarities, for one neither group has a home. The working homeless may be able to afford housing for a couple of months at a time like in Diaz's case however many are homeless most of the year. Just as the unemployed homeless they rely on shelters and churches or sleep on the street. Additionally, another similarity is that not having a home puts a strain on one's mental welfare. "Becoming homeless is a psychologically traumatic event that commonly is accompanied by symptoms of anxiety and depression, sleeplessness, and loss of appetite." (source 8) This applies to both classes of people as both of them have no stable home.

The working homelessness and unemployed homelessness have some similarities but also some differences, the main difference being that it is easier to escape homelessness while working.

(sorry it just says (SOURCE) I'm pressed for time and couldn't MLA format in time.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@colleengeraghty
Hi there. Welcome to the forum! Hopefully, my feedback will be helpful for your writing endeavors. If it is, don't hesitate to approach us for additional input on your writing. We're always happy to give out assistance!

The introduction of that first paragraph needs to be more substantive. Remember that, from the get-go, the first sentence should be a briefing on what the readers will anticipate in the latter parts of the text. Something that is more symbolical, so to speak, will fit into this portfolio. You need to establish a goal in mind prior to writing everything down, especially because this is how you'll be able to transition better into the core substance of your essay.

In your third to the last paragraph, it can be clearly seen that you failed to integrate the sourcing/referencing material in a more strategic manner. Using it twice consecutively will not give you anything beneficial, especially because it may just appear to be repetitive without having a substantive approach to the written text.

Remember that formality is essential when writing. Always double check the technical viewpoints of writing: the transitions, capitalization, usage of references, etc. These are all very important to the composition's standardization.

Home / Writing Feedback / Review my essay on working homelessness