The Rewards of Taking Risks: Facing my Fear of Public Speaking

leo nma 1 / 1 1  
Standing behind the podium, legs numb, sweaty hands gripping my notecards, and face frozen in fright; I realized that I had arrived at my crucifixion. But I wasn't Jesus dying for the greater good; I was glossophobic Celeste trying to survive one of the most daunting experiences of my high school career. However, as dreadful, as the experience was, facing my fear of public speaking has rewarded me with confidence that has led to me becoming a better version of myself.

Although my present self is confident, that has not always been the story. I moved to America in second grade, and that is when I began to learn English. My classmates bullied me for not speaking like everyone else, and that just made me work harder to perfect my English. In middle school, the bullying escalated in middle school to the point where I despised being at school. It wasn't about my language skills anymore, but my appearance. I began to feel terribly self-conscious and retreated into a shell. I kept my head down and avoided speaking; for fear that I would draw attention to myself, which would lead to my classmates humiliating me. And that was how I carried myself at school.

Transferring into a new school in the middle of the year is something that many kids fear. I am one of those kids. Being a new kid with confidence issues, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I was averse to the idea of taking speech class when my counselor shared this proposition. Even so, I was in need of one more class period to fill my schedule. That is how I found myself in Mrs. Kinn's third period speech class with two other sophomores, two juniors, and fourteen seniors. I had gone into the class telling myself that it wouldn't be so bad; but when the time came to deliver my first speech, I was so petrified I froze up. Unfortunately, the speech that came after wasn't any better. I broke down in tears in front of the class and could not finish giving my speech.

However, being the tenacious person that I am; I did not let my previous failures deter me from doing my best. I began to work on my presentation skills at home. I used my siblings as speech critics, and I practiced enunciating and volume variation. I started to slowly make eye contact with people as I pretended they were my audience. When I had to get up in front of the class again, I was better prepared to deliver my speech. At the end of the semester, I was voted most improved speaker by my classmates. That made me feel extremely proud and accomplished. This award wouldn't hold much importance in the eyes of others; but to me, it symbolizes triumph over a large hindrance in my life.

At the beginning of my journey in speech class, I was filled with fear and doubt. In spite of the reservations that I had, I was able to overcome one of my biggest fears. The experience gave me the confidence to live more freely and be myself. I took a risk and was rewarded greatly in the end.
akn_24 1 / 2 1  
..., the bullying escalated in middle school to the point where I ... -I think you should remove the second phrase to avoid word repetition.

Also I think you should lengthen the conclusion of your essay, by saying how will you be ready to speak in public in the future, or extend the statement of living more freely and being yourself.

The essay overall is great, you gave out really great examples and stories, only a little bit more effort needs to be put into to perfect your essay. I hope this helps.

Home / Writing Feedback / The Rewards of Taking Risks: Facing my Fear of Public Speaking