Rocky Balboa: The American Dream Personified

sweetcherokee74 2 / -  
Hi Gloria,
Would you please check for grammatical errors, paper organization and how well it ties in with thesis, also I'm struggling with coclusion. Is it sufficient?

PROMPT: Investigate pop culture icon (fictional) and account for his popularity. TASK: Provide in-depth analysis of the character and explain how traits character embodies reflect the needs and desires of audience who idolizes or appreciates him.

THANK-YOU!!

"The world aint all sunshine and rainbows...you...aint never gonna hit as hard as life; but it aint about how hard you can hit...it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

-Rocky Balboa, quoted in Rocky VI
Rags-to-riches - it's the American dream; and those who achieve it have always been our heroes. But the American Dream is more than success; in order to be a true American hero one must achieve that success honorably. Rocky Balboa is that hero. He emerged in 1976 as a pop culture icon that continues to appeal, to viewers of all ages and backgrounds. Since then there have been five additional Rocky movies made, each just as popular as the last. Some may argue that Rocky is just another fighting movie, but it's more than that; it's a story about a fighter! Rocky is a story about overcoming tragedies and broken dreams to find love, hope, and happiness. Rocky remains an American hero today because in him Americans of all ethnicities and backgrounds find a caring and faithful husband and father; an example of traditional values; inspiration to keep on fighting against all odds, and an enjoyable escape from the daily trials of life.

Born to poor Italian immigrants, Rocky never had it easy in life. Uneducated, and with little hope for the future, Rocky lives alone in a dilapidated apartment on the run-down streets of Philadelphia, and seems resigned to his lot in life. He works as a debt collector for a "second-rate loan shark," and moonlights as "The Italian Stallion," boxing in local clubs. But his boxing is only half-hearted - just enough to pay the bills. Mickey (Rocky's coach in the first three films), finally gets fed up with Rocky's drinking, smoking, and lack of motivation. Clearing out Rocky's locker, and filling it with the gear of a more dedicated boxer, he says, "You could have been somebody, Rock."

Just when it looks as if things can't get any worse, the arrogant, heavy-weight champion Apollo Creed, challenges Rocky to a once in a lifetime fight. Although he realizes Apollo is using him as a charity case in a publicity stunt, he rises to the challenge. This is when the spirit of Rocky comes alive as he puts all his heart and might into training for the fight. In a quiet moment before the fight he tells future wife Adrian, "It really don't matter if I lose this fight...all I wanna do is go the distance...[when] that bell rings, and I'm still standing, I'm gonna know for the first time in my life...that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood." The fight then opens with Apollo Creed prancing out into the ring as if it were a stage, mocking the humble Rocky, whose entrance is uneventful. But somehow, against all odds, a battered and bloody Rocky makes it to the final round - miraculously, he's still standing. The crowd cheers wildly, and although Rocky loses this initial fight, he wins something much more important: his dignity. He walks away with a new belief in his own ability and the knowledge that he can achieve whatever he puts his mind to.

A large part of Rocky's popularity is that his appeal crosses all ethnic lines. Rocky is a second-generation, struggling Italian, whose plight the rising tide of immigrants in the 1970's could relate to. Rocky is like Superman: "It is impossible to imagine [him] being as popular as he is...were he not [the son of] immigrant...all Americans have an immediate sense of their origins elsewhere" (Engle 745). Rocky is still popular today, serving as an example to immigrants struggling to assimilate into this culture, and demonstrating that the American Dream is open to anyone. The Rocky films also appeal to African Americans; it was one of the earliest to portray a black man (Apollo Creed) in not only a leading role, but as an educated, wealthy, and admired figure, reflecting the rise of civil rights. The release of the first Rocky film also coincided with the establishment of affirmative action "as a social policy" in the 1976 Supreme Court ruling on University of California Regents vs. Bakke (Places of Migration in U.S History 3). It is also significant that Apollo Creed was the victor in the first Rocky film.

In addition to his ethnic appeal, Rocky also serves as a positive role model for husbands, fathers, and women alike. Throughout the series of the Rocky films, Rocky matures into a good, honest, family man. Although very rugged and masculine, Rocky is also gentle and cares deeply for his wife and son. He brings his wife flowers, shows her great respect, and is hopelessly in love with her. In spite of his overnight rise to fame and wealth, he always makes time for his son; he plays ball with him, reads to him at night, and never misses his birthday parties. His great appeal as a family man stems from the fact that he never loses his humility and down-to-earth outlook on life; he never forgets where he came from. He is the dedicated father. He is the faithful, loyal husband. He is the example any generation can emulate.

Rocky made his debut to a generation in turmoil. With the rise of feminism he found a receptive audience in men who resisted, and often felt confused by the new demands for equality. For example, Rocky constantly makes statements such as, "I'm a man, Adrian," and "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." As a husband, Rocky is the dominant marriage partner, the main bread-winner, and feels it is his duty to provide for his family. For Rocky, it is unthinkable to be one of the stay-at-home dads we see today or to run out on his responsibilities and be a "dead-beat" dad. Rocky reaffirmed traditional gender and family roles and provided an anchor for men who struggled to cope with changing social values and hold on to their idea of masculinity.

Rocky appealed to women of that time who were also confused about their changing roles. Many women did not want to enter the workforce and were perfectly content to stay home and raise their children. They liked the idea of a masculine man like Rocky who provided for the family. Perhaps the greatest appeal Rocky had on women was the way in which he treated her. He always told her how beautiful she was and that he never wanted her to change, and he meant it. Woman also liked Adrian who exemplified the traditional, submissive wife who served to please and always stood by him. Many women still like these ideas today. In fact, with the deterioration of the American family (divorce, teen pregnancies, gangs, drugs, violence), many people are beginning to see the importance of traditional values, and desperately want them back. In spite of this, we hardly ever see movies that portray dominant men like Rocky, and submissive women like Adrian. It would be too risky because of "... the feminization of our culture for the sake of political correctness" (Front Page Magazine 2).

Rocky's admires were not limited to immigrants and people striving to hang on to traditional values, but he appealed to the masses whose political leaders failed them. When the movie was released, there was the letdown of Watergate and the loss of Vietnam War. America was in a slump, and needed a hero to bring them out of it. Rocky was that hero. The movie Rocky was an enjoyable escape from the hardships the American people were facing. Rocky's fighting spirit served to remind Americans that Americans don't quit. Americans get back up on their feet and keep fighting. Rocky rekindled the shattered spirits of America and gave people hope.

Rocky appeals to people along the entire political spectrum because he personifies the American Dream. Conservative leader Ronald Reagan played the theme song to Rocky in 1984 when he was in Ireland. Reagan also referred to Rocky in a 1983 speech to the National Rifle Association, saying, "...I believe with all my heart that we have turned the corner... and like that fighter, Rocky Balboa, America is getting stronger now" (Second Amendment Project). Twenty five years later, liberal leader Hilary Clinton compared herself to Rocky in her 2008 victory speech. She played the same theme song Reagan used in Ireland and said, "When it comes to finishing the fight, Rocky and I have a lot in common. I never quit, and neither do the American people" (CNN Politics.com).

Rocky faced many obstacles throughout his boxing career. He lost his wife to ovarian cancer; witnessed the death of two close friends, lost the championship title, faced poverty and financial ruin, suffered alienation from his grown son, and lost a substantial amount of vision in one eye. But through it all Rocky never lost his determination. Rocky has remained an American hero for over three decades because he always finds the courage and the will to stand back up and keep fighting.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

A few mechanical suggestions. First, make sure that your quote at the beginning is correct; "ain't" should have an apostrophe in it.

Second, avoid starting your sentences with "but." Make sure you are using commas correctly; there are instances in this piece where they are used inappropriately; namely, use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of the seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. Otherwise, don't use a comma at all, or better yet, split the sentence into two independent clauses with a period.

As I stated in your previous posts, avoid contractions.
Make sure you are only capitalizing proper nouns and the first words of sentences; for example, "American Dream" should not be capitalized.
Make sure you are properly using semi colons. Namely, when linking independent clauses not joined by a coordinating conjunction. Make sure not to use it like a comma in a series or list.

I think your content is excellent, and your conclusion ties everything up nicely. I think it is sufficient. You use great citation in the piece, and your organization is good. The paragraphs are structured nicely and the piece flows well between paragraphs. Once you make the mechanical corrections, I think you will have a very nice piece. Good work.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Rocky Balboa: The American Dream Personified