The role of Citizen Participation in community planning - thesis statment lenght

LilytheUrbnPlnr 1 / 2  
This paper argues that although the role of Citizen Participation in community planning has generally evolved over time, the degree those changes have occurred is not significant; however, what has changed significantly is that empirical research in regards to this topic has been gaining ground, and professionals are starting to create not only theoretical, but better and more practical approaches towards Citizen Participation programs, such as Desmond M. Conner's "New Ladder" of participation, which is a huge improvement over Sherry Arnstein's "Ladder"; moreover, the authors James L. Creighton and Lance Decker have also come up with innovative ways to structure and implement successful participatory programs that overcome barriers, and of the many, three key theories that underly Citizen Participation in planning are cohesiveness, responsiveness and early involvement.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
unless Citizen Participation is some group, it should be lower-cased. Also, unless this is a research paper abstract or intro to one, leave out the this paper argues... just state it is words. May be a more complex way, but it looks better. But dang, baby! 1 sentence. I'm awed. a couple semi-colons, a few commas,...

Pray tell what kind of essay you are writing. Theses can be long, and complex, but constraining it into 1 sentence is a stretch.
OP LilytheUrbnPlnr 1 / 2  
It's a reflective paper. I know it's a long thesis, but my prof. asked me four-parted question, around which I need to formulate my thesis. Here is the question:

Discuss the changing role of Citizen Participation in community planning and to what degree changes over time have improved participation practices and outcomes. In this answer please tell us whether Conner's new ladder of participation was a theoretical and practical improvement over Anstein's "ladder" and why. Based on Creighton and Deckers' texts what do we know about how to structure and implement successful participatory programs to overcome barriers? And lastly, identify and discuss what you think are the three key theories that underly citizen participation in planning.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
I see. quite a handful...but if this is a reflective paper, I don't think you have to address it in one sentence..
So basically, have a theses that address the role of citizen participation in changing community planning. You can, in your intro, mention these people's ideologies on the topic, as I think you do...let's see

Although the role of Citizen Participation in community planning has generally evolved over time, the degree to which it has changed is not significant despite significant gains in empirical research. Professionals have not only created theoretical but also more practical approaches towards Citizen Participation such as Desmond M. Conner's "New Ladder" of participation, which is a huge improvement over Sherry Arnstein's "Ladder." <good? I dunno. the next part im not really sure how to rephrase, but I think you get the idea.> Moreover, authors James L. Creighton and Lance Decker have also come up with innovative ways to structure and implement successful participatory programs that overcome barriers. Of the many, the three key theories that underlie Citizen Participation in planning are cohesiveness, responsiveness and early involvement.

maybe expand upon that last sentence and make a transition, but I think this addresses the prompt. it's so bulky, but it reminds me of a tok essay
OP LilytheUrbnPlnr 1 / 2  
Oh, so much better. Thanks!!! I was starting to pull my hair out. I will add a transition at the end of the thesis and the entire first part will come together soon. Thank you again for your help! I appreciate it.

Home / Writing Feedback / The role of Citizen Participation in community planning - thesis statment lenght